Ever had this problem?

I have a new 2021 90hp on my new pontoon and going down the lake last week and today it has just lost power and shut off, one time it lost power for couple seconds and took off and ran fine, seems to be happening around 4000 to 5200 rpm. Any idea what could be causing that? Called the dealer and said probably middle of next week before they could get to it.

2. Member
    Loose battery cables would be my first guess.

3. Member
    Checked those, they're tight.

Replace the water/fuel separator filter.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

5. Member
    Take the cowling cover off and check ground wire that runs to the motor. My new 250 SHO did the same thing and had a loose ground wire inside cowling. Thanks Yamaha!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KB1953 View Post
    Take the cowling cover off and check ground wire that runs to the motor. My new 250 SHO did the same thing and had a loose ground wire inside cowling. Thanks Yamaha!
    Are you referring to where the negative battery cable is attached to the motor?

7. Member
    Yes, make sure it is not loose.

8. Member
    Mechanic going up in the morning to check it out. Told him what it was doing and he thanks it's probably fuel related.

9. Member
    Well my mechanic checked it out Tues. and it was fuel related. What he found was the fuel pick up line in the tank has a screen wrapped around it and was crimped on to tight and not letting enough fuel to flow up to the motor when running in the higher rpm's, he feels certain that was the problem, we'll see.

10. Member
    I had this issue with a 250 sho and it had to do with the fuel vent valve. it was stuck closed.