New Dobyns Skipping Rod

I've read that Dobyns has a fairly new (within the past twelve months) skipping rod. It's a 6'10" "heavy" fast. The article states that it is actually on the the "heavy" side more so that the other Dobyns rod's that are rated as heavy.

Does anyone own one and if so how do you like it? Is it really a bit on the heavy side?

Thanks!

I have not fished this rod nor do I know anyone.

https://dobynsrods.com/product/dc-610-4c/
    This is the rod I believe you are talking about.

3. Member
    It is. The customer reviews from Dobyns on this rod is pretty good.

Give Dobyns a call as well. The folks at the shop are very helpful and always answer any questions I have on their rods.
    Last edited by rgbtr196le; 06-07-2021 at 07:45 AM.

5. Member
    I get a kick out of these 'skipping rods' when you can skip with any rod... as long as the reel has brakes with the exception of a spinning reel which is the easiest.

Exception. Fly rod, or really any rod over 9'; over 8 maybe... but I am sure it could be done.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    I get a kick out of these 'skipping rods' when you can skip with any rod..
    And you can "fish" with a broom stick, rope, and a hook. Doesn't mean there's not equipment out there that makes a particular application easier.

I skip all the time. Some rods are definitely easier to skip than others.
    Last edited by CFDoc; 06-07-2021 at 01:10 PM.

I have had the 610-4 for a couple months now. Great rod overall and not a broomstick. I say its a MH+ more than anything due to its 1/4-1 oz rating and short length. The reel does most of the work when skipping...but the length of this rod and its power definitely help the cause.

8. Member
    This particular rod is more of a heavy medium heavy but no, most Dobyns are rated heavier than most other brands (medium heavys are other guys mediums etc.) I love my dobyns but I had to familiarize myself with their numerical power ratings more than the rod actions. That being said you’ll love this one and any of the other shorter 4 powers for skipping.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CFDoc View Post
    And you can "fish" with a broom stick, rope, and a hook. Doesn't mean there's equipment out there that makes a particular application easier.

I skip all the time. Some rods are definitely easier to skip than others.

I have one, becoming one of my favorite rods, both for length (co-angler, so shorter rods work nicer on the back deck a lot of times) and it's versatility. It's pretty much has a skipping jig or swim jig on it all the time for me, but could be used for any MH presentation really for those that prefer a bit shorter rod. I like it so much I will be picking up a 2-power spinning rod from Dobyns shortly and may add another one of these to the order. I run a Steez SV TW 7.1 with 40lb braid on it, it's a nice, light compact setup. Could also be used for pitching smaller weighted plastics/creatures in tight spots - trees/docks/blowdowns/etc, finesse jigging, basically anything tight cover.

Love mine. I feel it is a tad heavier than my 744 jig rod special
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Love mine. I feel it is a tad heavier than my 744 jig rod special

i have 744 and my friend has 610 that stays in my boat and I agree with this.