Lightbulb Vapor seperator leak

Hi all,

I have a 2006 Optimax 225 Serial# 1B262770.

On the vapor separator I have a worsening leak from the rear drain tube. I have replaced the O-ring on the screw, but so far, no change. It is a slow drip, but enough that it's clearly visible and for the first time, I could see a sheen left behind in the water.

Is this a simple drain screw replacement? Or what steps do I need to diagnose any other potential issue and what is the course of repair?

Also, I am getting ready to make some changes to the fuel lines as I do not like the way they are routed through a barbed bulkhead fitting. I am going to run them through the full length of the rigging tube. When I do this, I plan to replace that fuel line and the primer bulbs as mine are starting to show their age. What brand of primer bulbs are preferred? I will be relocating them to the inside of the transom.

Thank you!

Dave

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Dave- have you removed the screw and inspected the needle (as well as the seat area of the VST for any type of debris trapped in there)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I have inspected it to the best of my ability with it still mounted. I cannot see any visible damage to the end of the screw or the seat area. However, I am guessing I would need to get it out on the bench to be sure. Absolutely no visible debris.

My assumption is the previous owner or shop went way too tight and the seat may be damaged. I need to pull it back apart and really inspect the end of the screw, I could swap it with the forward one to see if it resolves.

Can the seat be reformed with a small stainless ball and punch?

In any case, it has gotten worse and that ties into my draining of the fuel.

Any ideas are welcome. I am trying to get back in the water ASAP.

Thank you!

Dave

4. Member
    I have ordered a replacement drain screw as I could not get out to the boat over the weekend. I am hoping the seat is not wiped out. I have no idea how to fix that one.

Dave

5. Member

6. Member
    New screw solved the issue.

I got in the bottom of the well and blew it out and checked the seating area. The old one shows no signs of wear or damage. I even tried polishing the tip up on the lathe. No help.

Ultimately the new screw solved the problem.

Dave

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Glad to hear it. Sometimes that's the simplest solution.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor