Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

At least they're talking about it, need laws

Wake Responsibly: You Are Responsible for Your Own Wake
    Law Enforcement Officers with the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission enforce the boating laws and navigational rules in North Carolina's public waters to create a safe boating environment for everyone. Officers continually and proactively enforce laws and rules regarding authorized no-wake zones, as well as the reckless and negligent operation of any motorboat or vessel on these waters.

Please follow these guidelines to "wake responsibly":

Stay at least 200 feet away from the shoreline, docks or other structures.
    Keep music at reasonable levels. Sound travels well over water. If it is loud enough to hear at 80 feet back, it is likely loud enough for homeowners and other to hear as well.
    Minimize repetitive passes on any one portion of the shoreline. Once you've run the same line for awhile, move on to another area.

Wake and Wake Boats

Wake boats are high-tech, specialized boats with ballasts that fill with water to adjust for the size of wake desired.
    Wake boats can produce significant wake (3 - 4 feet) at low speeds (10 mph).
    In general, the boats are not the problem, but rather the wake produced by the vessels.
    While wake boats are designed to create significant wake, wake is not vessel specific.
    Wake is one of many factors that can cause erosion.
    Erosion, dock/boat property damage and noise are the primary complaints associated with the use of wake boats.
    Because the ballasts of wake boats fill with water, transfer of aquatic nuisance species could be an issue.
    Concerns about wake boats are a nationwide issue.

2. Banned
    Have not been on the water where I did not witness some idiot breaking the law or acting responsible. See the same on the highways. Most know better but could care less.

3. Member
    I despise those wake boats. Neighbor has one and yes he's a jerk! Our closest ramp is a narrow river and its very hard to enjoy a relaxing evening fishing there when the wake boats are running back and forth. JMO

They can start by enforcing the music. Is it some kind of stipulation that if you buy a wake boat you have to play obscene rap music as loud as possible anytime the boat sees water?
    USMC Vet!

5. Member
    Too many spoiled brats riding around in daddy's 6 figure wake boat and clueless adults emulating what they see on TV.

it was a big deal to get your hands on the tiller in the Jon boat when I was a kid.

6. Member
    We should all speak up to any legistor, wildlife officer or LEO about this problem so we can push the needle forward!!!

7. Banned
    Do not think they would do anything with the bi-racial couple that was rousting us at Kerr. They have more rights than you can imagine.

Enforement? By who? Laws are laws but in 10+ years on the lakes around Raleigh I think I have seen law enforcement boats about 5 times and most of those were on holidays. Legislators like to pass laws so they can smile and pretend they give a chit about you but without any means to enforce those laws, its meaningless.

I really liked the statement that its not the boats that are the problem, its the wake they produce. That like say its not the fall that kills you, its the sudden stop at the end. LOL
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Banned
    I’m probably the only one that has this opinion but I could care less about the wake board boats. I would rather have 1000 wake board boats in the area that I’m fishing than 5 other fishing boats. The fish are used to the wake board boats. At least they don’t have livescope and pull up on the same stretch of shore line as you 25 yards in front of you and then look at you like you did something wrong. And as far as music goes, I hear a lot of guys in bass boats blasting rap music while fishing as well. I am more irked by the “spoiled brats” riding around in the brand new 21 foot bass boats that have no concept of respect.

Respect in general sadly just isn't what it use to be.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Some jerk wrote an article in the Hyco Magazine telling people that wake boats don’t do any more damage to the shore than bass boats and pontoons. He must be on something

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    Do not think they would do anything with the bi-racial couple that was rousting us at Kerr. They have more rights than you can imagine.
    “bi-racial”?
    ”they have more rights”?
    what does this have to do with who is piloting the boat and causing the disturbance? If it’s even illegal…

13. Mike Lamb
    Wake boats should be limited on where they can operate. And Law enforcement should write tickets. They dont. Treat the Wake boats and Jet skis with kid gloves. And yes I have talked with wildlife officers. They could pay for there how department gas cost for the year at any ramp and lake.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

14. Member
    all i know is between 98 and new light bridge on falls they should NOT be allowed to wakeboard through there.. nothing like gettin behind a couple of them taking up the entire lake in those sections
    Last edited by basshammerwannabe; 06-07-2021 at 12:37 PM.

15. Banned
    Must have had your head in the sand for a while.

What good is it to have laws and no one enforce them . Can't remember the last time I saw a wildlife officer on High Rock. I talked to them at a boat show a couple years back about people not obeying the no wake zones and they looked at me like I was crazy.
    A mistake on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part.

17. Member
    It's all the same thing with our Country right now. No enforcement and no punishment for law breakers. It's a joke. LEO's have their hands tied by the Liberal local, state and federal government representatives. Law breakers are not one bit scared of anyone or anything anymore. It has to stop. The only way it might have a chance of stopping is to vote in representatives that will do something about it. This Country is out of control right now. No 'Leadership' is a dangerous down hill slope. ....Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bairn View Post
    “bi-racial”?
    ”they have more rights”?
    what does this have to do with who is piloting the boat and causing the disturbance? If it’s even illegal…
    I see you took the bait. I left it alone...too much going on in that post.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wstutts View Post
    What good is it to have laws and no one enforce them . Can't remember the last time I saw a wildlife officer on High Rock. I talked to them at a boat show a couple years back about people not obeying the no wake zones and they looked at me like I was crazy.
    They've implemented a local law on Lake Murray that limits them to certain zones. It's only a matter of time at High Rock before people take action in their own hands. If I can cast over your boat you are too close. Local Wildlife and Sheriffs do nothing to enforce boating laws. They would rather give someone bream fishing for food a ticket.

^^I had a friend that used to keep a rod in his boat with a Hopkins spoon tied on that he would cast at boats that got too close.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast