Any Way Around the 5000 Waypoint Maximum?

I've got 15+ years of Waypoints that imported to my new GPSMap 1243. I'm already maxed out. First off, how can the limit you to 5000? Secondly, how can I get around this issue? I don't want to have import and export waypoints every time I go to a new area or even an old area where I want to add waypoints. Very annoyed by this issue.
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

2. Member
    Beside an intervention, You could sort then into individual groups and only load the pertinent ones for the area you will be fishing at the moment. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Get several micro SD cards and a small case to hold them in. Load the waypoints for each lake on its own dedicated micro SD card. Wipe the waypoints off your unit and use the card for the lake you will be on.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    Yep, organizing the waypoints by waterbody is the best way to do it. Then wipe your unit and it will run much faster as well.

5. Member
    I think that's a total drag that you have to wipe your unit every time you go to a new area. For that much money they can't build in more memory?

So I've got three units networked. Do I have to wipe each unit individually?
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Hell lowrance limits you to 3000 waypoints on the Live unit......its just what it is...

Being they are networked I think it should delete off the othere units.....you can test that out by adding a waypoint and go thru the motions.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Yes, if your units are ethernet-linked, all waypoint functions (loading, editing, and deleting wpts) are shared. So, the process of saving, clearing all user data, and loading data is done just once at one unit.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Since I started using Livescope, I rarely use my waypoints. It is so easy to find structure that it just isn't worth the effort.

9. Member
    I have no problem in downloading and deleting waypoints, however I do it the numbers do not reset back to 001. Anyone else experience this phenomenon? Thanks!!

10. Member
    That prevents duplicates. When you load your old ones they retain the same numbers, don't they? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Member
    Following up on this. I can't figure out how to import just a region of my waypoints to my GPSMap. I've figure out how to back up all of my waypoints to a mini-SD. Now how do I create a file to just include a specific lake or region?
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

12. Member
    HBPC and Google Earth

Highlight the Wpoints in the HBPC file and you can then open Google Earth to view them.

Once sorted, save files as gpx. and you can download the gpx file directly to a card and insert into the Garmin unit.

13. Member
    What is HBPC? Does Garmin not have their own software set up to do this? I've been searching their site and manual.
    Aaron Cavanaugh
    FishinFreaks
    Rogers, MN

14. Member
    Humminbird PC waypoint program

Free download

I use use HBs and Garmins and interchange the files/waypoints frequently.

The nice thing with the HBPS and Google Earth system is when you view the selected/highlighted waypoints in the GE satellite map, you can quickly see where they are.

In the HBPC pogram is a GE globe you click on to open GE to view.

Pretty slick way to view

If you had 50 Wpoints and all were only one lake, the satellite view zooms down to that one lake .

If one or more of those waypoints are on a lake say 50 miles away, the satellite view zooms in only enough to show all Wpoints highlighted and the two lakes they are on in one screen view, in other words a wider view, less zoom in.

You can easily see that odd Wpoint or two that belongs to a different lake/file, if you choose.

Google/Youtube for some video examples.