21hp prop troubles

I have a 06 21 hp with the original 225 mercury motor on it with a 6 inch manual jackplate. It had a 26 fury when I bought it which was too much prop. I borrowed a 25 fury from a buddy and ran it from 3 3/8 to 2 3/4 below pad. No noticeable difference from 3-2 3/4. It would turn 5700 rpm’s with one person in and ran right at 70 but the boat isn’t lifting like I feel like it should. Would a tempest help it get more lift or am I doing something else wrong? I feel like I can’t expect a whole lot more out of it speed wise but would like it to lift up if I can get it to. Thank y’all for the help

2. Member
    Is this a Pro XS or "regular" Opti 225? Lots of 20 and 21 HP's on the water up here. Most run Tempests, mine included. Try a 25 if you can find one.
    That's a real good fishing boat.

3. Member
    It’s a pro xs opti. I love the bit so far. Fished great and has handled rough water good too

4. Member
    I have owned an 05 with a 225 pro xs for the last 12 years. I ran a 25 Tempest plus and it would turn 5700 rpm and would run about 72 with just me in the boat. That prop developed a crack that could not be repaired and I tried a 25 Fury that a buddy had. It would not lift the bow at all. I ended up buying a 27 Tempest plus that had been reworked to a 26 and it is great in cool weather with more lift and I have had it to 73. With that prop it turns 5500 rpm at WOT. I'm now considering another 25 Tempest plus for warm weather and the 27 for cool weather.

5. Member
    Thats what I was needing to hear limitlong. Do you happen to know what ptp height you ran the 25?

6. Member
    I've got a 2010 21hp. It came with a fury 3 26p that the only use on this boat is for a spare.

I tried my old 25p tempest plus that needed to be reworked by Croxton and it was better, but still not much bow lift.
    Got my fury 4 24p worked by Croxton along with 2 degree wedges and it now lifts the bow better, very good holeshot as well.

Im around ptp 2 3/4".

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AL 21hp View Post
    Thats what I was needing to hear limitlong. Do you happen to know what ptp height you ran the 25?
    I am pretty sure I am at 3 inches. Haven’t checked in a long time.

I have a 21HP but mine has a 250 ProXS
    I also ran a TR21 with a 225 and the hulls are very similar

I can tell you from my experience the Tempest is a much better prop for this hull
    I run a balanced and blueprinted 26p Tempest on a 10 inch jack plate at 2.25 PTP
    The 25p Fury did not give me enough bow lift
    I get very good speed out of the Tempest. 76.5 at the last tournament with Full tank of gas, gear, cooler, and my Son
    With a light load in the spring I can hit 80 when I am alone

The TR21 liked a 4 blade Trophy
    it was 1-2 MPH slower but the boat handled so much better it was worth it to me
    I wish I still had the Trophy to try it on the 21HP as I would gain even more bow lift

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

9. Member
    Did you ever try a 4 blade fury vs the trophy?

Since going to a 4 blade fury they seem to do everything better then my worked 25p tempest plus, except top speed. It's been worth the trade but always looking to see if something else is better.

Id love to try the 4blade bravo 1 xs and see if it lifts the bow better and carries a load better.

Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    Did you ever try a 4 blade fury vs the trophy?

Since going to a 4 blade fury they seem to do everything better then my worked 25p tempest plus, except top speed. It's been worth the trade but always looking to see if something else is better.

Id love to try the 4blade bravo 1 xs and see if it lifts the bow better and carries a load better.
    No I did not try a Fury 4 blade
    The Fury's all ride lower than the Tempest & Trophies
    I like my engine as high as I can get it

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

11. Member
    I do as well. I can't deny the merits of the fury 4 but they do like to be deeper. I think the bravo likes higher and that interests me but I've got over $800 apiece in each of the fury 4's so I guess that what I'll be using.