Vault Bearing Caps WILL NOT go on

I've redone my entire trailer brake system on both sides (rotors, calipers, pads) packed with grease and get all the way to the final step of hammering the vault caps in and simply cannot get them started. They'll start slightly cocked but absolutely will not straighten out and seat no matter how many times I try. I've tried putting them in the freezer to shrink the diameter enough to get them started, no-go. The diameter of the cap seat is measuring .003/.004 bigger than the old ones I pulled off, I'm not sure if that's because the old ones are worn/egg-shaped from hammering or if there's a quality-control issue, but .003/.004 is enough to go from a "hammer on" fit to a hydraulic press fit.

Is there a trick that I'm just simply missing? Has anyone else had trouble getting these on? The new ones I purchased are the "Dexter" branded vault caps and the old ones just say "Vault" on them. At this point I may have to re-use the old ones so I can use the boat this weekend. Very frustrating.

2. Member
    Are you using a piece of pvc and a block of wood? I remember having a little trouble but not too bad when I had them on my trailer.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    Are you using a piece of pvc and a block of wood? I remember having a little trouble but not too bad when I had them on my trailer.
    I didn't have the recommended PVC adapter and was more or less being lazy and trying to get it started with a dead-blow and block of wood. I'm going to buy the adapter and give it another try today.

4. Member
    There is a couple sizes .did you get the right ones?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carp104 View Post
    I didn't have the recommended PVC adapter and was more or less being lazy and trying to get it started with a dead-blow and block of wood. I'm going to buy the adapter and give it another try today.
    You can pick up a PVC fitting to work at the hardware store. It just needs to be outside of the black center piece but still hit the "rim" of the cap. For the 1.98" caps, I have a 2" x 3" adapter coupler I picked up for $2 or something like that at Lowe's that works well. The larger 3" side is more stable when holding a block of wood against it.

6. Member
    No trick.....just the dead blow hammer & rotate the hub as you strike the bearing cover......getting it evenly seated ....then add the 2”x4” into the mix to fully seat the bearing protector.

Vault caps are ‘one time use’.....but I re-used the oil bath caps many times.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    No trick.....just the dead blow hammer & rotate the hub as you strike the bearing cover......getting it evenly seated ....then add the 2”x4” into the mix to fully seat the bearing protector.

Vault caps are ‘one time use’.....but I re-used the oil bath caps many times.
    I re-used the oil bath caps. The paperwork that came with mine also said they were 1 time use...
    Figure I'll have to try the Vault caps when the time comes..

8. Member
    Got the PVC adapter and eventually got them on, though it took quite a few try's to seat them properly.

That is the worst part about servicing those. I redid both of mine last year and had the same problem. I'm glad I don't have to mess with them very often. I got five years of service and many miles out of mine before the seal started slinging grease and needed service.
    Last edited by st041986; 06-20-2021 at 07:54 AM.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

10. GTB
    I’m done with them As soon as I get a chance I’m going over to Buddy Bearings

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTB View Post
    I’m done with them As soon as I get a chance I’m going over to Buddy Bearings
    The Vault set up converts readily to an EZ Lube type system if you are familiar with that. I’m a big fan of that system over Bearing Buddies. If you want the pressure on the system of a Bearing Buddy, look into Air Tight Hubs. I’ve read a lot of good things about that system and planning to try it out on my trailer this season since my spindle sleeves need replaced anyways.

12. Member
    So you changed to the ez lube from the vault? What exactly did you have to change on the vault system to go with the ez lube. Thinking I’m wanting to do this but what would it take and I guess why you did it.