Thread: 99 200 Ficht

99 200 Ficht

After replacing the lower unit it stalled in reverse each time but never in forward. I took the lower unit out and measured the shift rod. I must of mis-measured it at install and had to turned it out 1 turn to get 357mm. Now it doesn't stall out of the water or most times after the motor has been run and at full temp but cold it will stall.
    Could this be motor temp related? Thermostat?
    The idle is 900 so says dash tach? Feels like it has for years?
    I did notice that when it starts to stall the switch on the reverse shift rod starts to shake a bit? its held in by just a lose plastic clips and moves easily by hand?
    thanks for any thoughts

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You had your shift rod adjustment out of whack and you actuated the shift interrupt switch. You measure the shift rod in neutral from the deck of the lower unit to the center of the shift rod eye.

3. Member
    ok thanks. Yes That's how I measured it. Interestingly and I didn't think of this because the issue happened when I changed low units I assumed it was mechanical. I unplugged the switch on the shift rod and it goes into reverse fine. Is that adj somehow? and is it ok to run the engine without it plugged in?

4. Member
    The switch is a plugger type held in on two plastic posts loosely in place with plastic stops. Thanks for your help