Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Trailer Tires

I know this has never been asked but, What is the best trailer tires out there for a Ranger trail tandem axle trailer, ST21575R14.

2. Member
    Many threads in this topic with varying answers. Some swear by the Goodyear Endurance where as I prefer the Carlisle Radial Trail HD, that’s from runing them both. Pick a good quality tire, monitor the air pressure and if any bearing issues start to show themselves and you will get good wear out of them.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

I have Goodyear Endurance on my 2003 stratos trailer and very happy with them. That said I just towed a 93 Javelin379 from Kentucky to California (2,300 mikes) on a set of Goodyear Marathons without any issues.
    I agree with picking good quality tire, monitor air pressure and check your hubs for any heat development.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

4. Member
    Some swear by the Goodyear Endurance where as I prefer the Carlisle Radial Trail HD, that’s from runing them both.
    Idaho Sandman

Would you mind sharing why you prefer the Carlisles?

Thanks

I replaced this week my 7 year old. (Yes went too long) Hercules STS with the same thing. $100 each
    2023 BassCat Sabre FTD
    2023 175 Pro XS

MAXXIS! A bit spendy, but have really good reviews!
    Scott Inman

7. Banned
    Goodyear Endurance...MADE IN THE USA!!!

Was going to get Carlisle Radial Trail HD's....but the "MADE IN CHINA" killed that idea!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    Goodyear Endurance...MADE IN THE USA!!!

Was going to get Carlisle Radial Trail HD's....but the "MADE IN CHINA" killed that idea!!!
    That was my thinking as I was going to buy my second set of carlisles. At the time no trailer tires were made here to my knowledge

I was a big Carlisle fan. Had run them three different times until I had a blowout one one that was only two years old. This was around the time that the Goodyear Endurance came out and everyone one the board was singing it’s praises. I went to Discount Tire and compared the two tires side by side. The difference is remarkable. The Endurance sidewall is so stiff that you can practically sit on it without it collapsing and it’s quite a bit heavier. The quality is apparent.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

My stock Carlisle tires were good for 17k (brand new boat and trailer.)

my next set of endurance were good for 25k

i rebuilt my nitro suspension with dexter wet bolts kit and currently have 35k on my endurance. "Used to hell trailer by this point"

my next set of endurance are sitting in my garage as I am into borrowed time now.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    Get endurance with size and load rating you need

12. Member
    I have Endurances on 3 different trailers
    The set on my boat going on 4 years . Never any issues

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Idaho Sandman

Would you mind sharing why you prefer the Carlisles?

Thanks
    I had two failures from Goodyear. One was belt separation and on another trailer was a tire developed a bulge in the sidewall. Also on a grooved highway, which ours develop from cars with studded tires, the Goodyears want to hunt/wander more than the Carlisle. Trailers seem to tow/ride better with the Carlisles. Maybe that part is just in my head but had two trailers with each and it seemed noticeable. Price point was another factor. I will spend money on a product as important as tires but not if the costs outweigh the benefits. I tow a LOT and have yet to have trouble with the Carlisle. Most of my buddy’s run them as well with zero issues. American made does not always equate to a better product unfortunately. This is MY experience and know others have had a different experience with Goodyear and that is ok. Buy a tire you are confident in and maintain them properly and hopefully they will treat you right.

14. Member
    Idaho Sandman

Thanks for the reply and understood.

Also on a grooved highway, which ours develop from cars with studded tires, the Goodyears want to hunt/wander more than the Carlisle.
    I may have recently experienced this in some uneven constructions zones with a tandem with GYs and a 5000lb GVW.

1st time towing the tandem rig with D rated GYs.

Tandem usually tracks like a race car but I seemed to be fighting some wander in lane change/uneven road areas.

Same road and truck and 3300lb GVW single trailer with D rated GY tires, but no ill tracking effects.

Your reply may have clued me into something to watch for when towing the tandem.

Thanks again.

15. Banned
    My new Goodyear Endurance tires track 100% straight at all speeds

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Idaho Sandman

Thanks for the reply and understood.

I may have recently experienced this in some uneven constructions zones with a tandem with GYs and a 5000lb GVW.

1st time towing the tandem rig with D rated GYs.

Tandem usually tracks like a race car but I seemed to be fighting some wander in lane change/uneven road areas.

Same road and truck and 3300lb GVW single trailer with D rated GY tires, but no ill tracking effects.

Your reply may have clued me into something to watch for when towing the tandem.

Thanks again.
    By tandem do you mean dual axle? Of so understood. The Goodyears tracked great at any speed on a smooth even highway. Once one lane had the wear groove in the tire tracks, they would hunt. The Carlisle do not do it. It’s not major just noticeable. They are both great tires. Pick one and roll. Honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either. My issues with Goodyear soured me a bit is all.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    By tandem do you mean dual axle? Of so understood. The Goodyears tracked great at any speed on a smooth even highway. Once one lane had the wear groove in the tire tracks, they would hunt. The Carlisle do not do it. It’s not major just noticeable. They are both great tires. Pick one and roll. Honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either. My issues with Goodyear soured me a bit is all.
    What Goodyears? marathons or endurance? CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    What Goodyears? marathons or endurance? CJ
    Endurance.

19. Member
    I have 14s on my trailer and have been running car tires, white letter, have been very satisfied, three years old and about to replace, had my first flat. I sell tires and have never had a problem with car tires on boat trailers......Getting the look I wanted is all. Used to run goodyears, coopers, every brand known to man and settled on car tires
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

20. Member
    Those of you with dual axle trailers, if you ever install a decent set of passenger tires you will never use trailer tires again. Just be sure the weight of the rig does not exceed 75% of the combined max load of the 4 tires and inflate properly.
    ST tires are cheap built tires with heavier sidewalls designed for continuous heavy loads. A camper for example may use ST tires rated at a max load of 2500 pounds each and the camper may weigh 9000 pounds which would put it at 90% of rated capacity. In these cases passenger tires would not be the best choice.
    A typical car tire might be rated for 1600 pounds maximum. That would be 6400 pounds for 4 tires. A heavy bass boat like a 21 foot Ranger might weigh 4000 pounds loaded ready to fish. This would result in approx 65% loaded. You will be MUCH happier with the car tires.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast