2018 X19 Set Up Issues

I have re-powered my X19 from an older 200 Merc optimax to a new Merc 200 4 stroke. The old motor rpm max was 5750 and I could turn this empty with a 26P trophy running 70-72 mph and loaded turn 5600 running 66-68 mph. I could also turn a 27P trophy 5650 empty in the winter and run around 74mph. New 200 4 stroke with the same 26P trophy turns 5400 empty running 66mph, 24 trophy loaded turns 5300 running 63mph, I have not had the opportunity to run the 24 empty but it doesn't really matter I need to be able to turn this motor 6200 and I'm no where near that. I have adjusted the motor height to optimize rpm's and these are the numbers I'm getting. I contacted the dealership where I purchased the new motor to insure it was achieving WOT and they assured me it was. I've owned several brands of boats through the years including Allison's and I am not new to maximizing set up. I'm going to have the motor checked to be sure I'm reaching WOT and if it is I guess I'll just keep down sizing props until I get the rpm's to where they need to be. I just can't make myself believe I'll have to get below a 24P prop on this light of a boat with a new 200hp motor. I really like the low end and mid range on this new merc 4 stroke but I'm not so sure about the top end performance yet. I wish I could try some different props but the dealerships just will not loan them and I can't blame them.

2. Member
    That’s crazy! Makes me think the 2 stroke was underrated and the 4 stroke is overrated. You running 3” or less prop to pad?
    2019 x19 175 SHO 12” Bobs jack plate

3. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    I have heard of similar findings, it was suggested that a Bravo 1 FS is designed to run on 4 strokes.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessxpress View Post
    That’s crazy! Makes me think the 2 stroke was underrated and the 4 stroke is overrated. You running 3” or less prop to pad?
    I started out at 3 3/4” and moved up to 3” and had too much slip moved down 1/4” at a time until it quit slipping. These trophy props don’t run high for me. I ran at 4 1/4” ptp with the 2 stroke.

5. Member
    Have you tried any 3 blades? It would be nice if you could test try a 25 pitch Fury but they are not cheap and neither is the 4blade Bravo
    2019 x19 175 SHO 12” Bobs jack plate

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessxpress View Post
    Have you tried any 3 blades? It would be nice if you could test try a 25 pitch Fury but they are not cheap and neither is the 4blade Bravo
    I tried a tempest, fury and a 25m on the 2 stroke and they do have a little more top end but overall performance the trophy won out. I’d like to try a bravo and a fury 4 but I’m not going to buy something just to try it out.

7. Member
    I have got a sho 3 blade 22 pitch that i run on a 175sho on x19 it only turned about 5800 according to my rpm gauge. I sold my boat so i still have the prop i may sell it later own, my boat ran faster on the sho than the bravo 1 23pt that it has on it now but it handled better with the bravo

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    I have got a sho 3 blade 22 pitch that i run on a 175sho on x19 it only turned about 5800 according to my rpm gauge. I sold my boat so i still have the prop i may sell it later own, my boat ran faster on the sho than the bravo 1 23pt that it has on it now but it handled better with the bravo
    I've had several Xpress boats and from my experience for all around use they like the 4 blade props, not to say there isn't a 3 blade out there that won't out perform a 4 blade but I haven't found it. I run around at 40-45 mph and the 4 blades set up on the pad and run good stays up in turns and just all around performance is better for my use. Now if you want to achieve optimum speed the 3 blades are a little faster.

Any difference in gear ratio from the 2 stroke to the 4 stroke? Seems like a lot of performance loss just from swapping over from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke.
    I know you are not knew to the set game but just a reminder, have you checked the hotfoot to make sure the throttle is opening the all the way? Seen lots of boats with this issue.
    Xpress X19/200SHO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bob View Post
    Any difference in gear ratio from the 2 stroke to the 4 stroke? Seems like a lot of performance loss just from swapping over from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke.
    I know you are not knew to the set game but just a reminder, have you checked the hotfoot to make sure the throttle is opening the all the way? Seen lots of boats with this issue.
    The dealership that installed the motor assured me it was 100% but I’m going to have it checked, it’s my understanding the only way to tell is to hook it to a computer.

V8 200 or v6? I think they make both.
    Xpress never makes the same bottom so hard to
    Share data like other boats. Welds always different.
    1998 bullet 20xd 2006 225 sport xs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKER2702 View Post
    V8 200 or v6? I think they make both.
    Xpress never makes the same bottom so hard to
    Share data like other boats. Welds always different.
    It’s the V8.

13. Member
    I removed a perfect 250 pro XS to replace with a 250v8 on my X21 Xpress. First off the set up is totally different went from 25 fury 4 to a 23 fury 4. Have yet to achieve the speed of the 2stroke (lost around 4 mph) Have tried multiple props ,3 and 4 blade. 3 blade will be a little faster but the handling with the 4 is Worth the speed loss.
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hog power View Post
    I removed a perfect 250 pro XS to replace with a 250v8 on my X21 Xpress. First off the set up is totally different went from 25 fury 4 to a 23 fury 4. Have yet to achieve the speed of the 2stroke (lost around 4 mph) Have tried multiple props ,3 and 4 blade. 3 blade will be a little faster but the handling with the 4 is Worth the speed loss.
    I’m afraid what you dealt with is where I’ll end up, my biggest problem is finding props to try. I tried several 3 blade props on the 2 stroke and results are as you described. My boat didn’t like the fury 3 blade with the 2 stroke but never tried a fury 4. I’ve been told the fury is the best prop for the big gear cases but that doesn’t mean your boat will like it. I’ve read of some guys running SHO’s have had good success with Bravos but I’ve never tried one. Thanks for the reply.