Questions on Okoboji

I didn't want to hijack someone else's post, but since I've never fished Okoboji before I had a few questions for those that have...

1. In early Spring (April, early May) just how busy is it? How about in the Fall? I hate fishing places where you are either constantly fishing behind someone or you are constantly getting bombarded with waves from pleasure boat traffic.

2. Is East or West the better bass lake, and why?
    3. I see that both lakes have a ton of docks. Is this the primary way to fish shallow, and if so are the dock owners good about not throwing fits (I don't have any lakes around me with docks, so all I hear are stories about guys getting yelled at on other lakes while trying to fish docks).

Thanks for any and all information. Trying to find a decent sized lake to try and fish once or twice a year and for some dumb reason I always forget about Okoboji.

2. Member
    April through mid May is pretty calm, as are most all weekdays through the summer, then weekend traffic slows down after Labor Day. Tournament pressure isn't tremendous, but noticeable through the weekends the whole fishable year.

East vs West is all preference. I would say most tournaments are won out on West, but it isn't an easy bite to figure out. If you are good with pounding 2 pounders then finesse on West is usually solid. If you are wanting bigger fish, it takes time to get things figured out offshore and figuring out more productive shallow areas.

I have never had a bad encounter with a dock owner except night fishing, and a surprised owner came out thinking I was a burglar. Docks are the majority of the shallow water fishing. You can find them in the shallow weeds, but shallow timber is few and far between.

3. Member
    Thanks for all the info! One other question I forgot to ask was about what kind of water clarity to expect? Is it usually pretty clear or is there normally a stain to the water.

4. Member
    I haven't been out in a while, but West lake is normally clear. People are sight fishing in 10-15' of water for reference. East lake is dirtier, with a normal visibility of 3' I would say.

Water color on West is always very clear. 10 feet or more. East and the smaller lakes have very good clarity as well but that tends to change based on algae blooms.

I do my better fishing on East but that’s because I like to fish docks and the water color favors that better on that lake more than it does West. But the offshore fishing is better on West as far as I’m concerned.

Boat traffic is pretty crazy for the months that school lets out but isn’t too bad otherwise. As far as dealing with other anglers, unless it’s a tournament weekend, you might not see another bass angler. I had an incredible in July once during the middle of the week. There were a ton of pleasure boaters but not a single other bass fisherman was on the lake.

6. Member
    Again, thanks for the info and help. Seems weird that the best bass lake in Iowa has days where there may not be more than a couple anglers fishing for them. But maybe that's part of the reason why it seems to consistently be good for bass? I seem to struggle much more in clear water than in stained or muddy water, so that might make things interesting when I decide to go.

7. Member
    I think that is part of the reason why you don't see many people fishing it.

It can be more difficult to figure out a bite, it's different than what most Iowan anglers are used to fishing (clear, deep and natural), it's far away for the majority of people (no cities super close), and the boat traffic can be nuts during the summer weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    , and the boat traffic can be nuts during the summer weekends.
    That boat traffic isn’t particularly fun during the summer week days either...

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post
    That boat traffic isn’t particularly fun during the summer week days either...

When I fish Boji, Memorial Day, until 2 weeks after Labor Day—- on the water just before daylight off by 10 AM. Back on the water by 7 PM, off whenever your done. 5 hours in the morning, a few hours in the evening. Avoid the boat traffic.