Having a rod built??

I recently ordered a rod from a local builder. I took my favorite shaky rod to him and asked him to do a similar rod. He asked me which reel I was going to use and how much it weighs? Will the weight of the reel make much difference in how the rod functions?

2. Member
    If it’s a spinning rod it will make a difference in guide layout, but regardless of type of rod it is the weight is needed to properly place the reel seat to balance correctly.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Sorry it is a bait casting rod. My plan is a Curado X70.

4. Member
    Then it’s more about the balance than anything. The builder should be able to do a static test without needing the reel itself but the weight he can really fine tune the pivot point
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    So with all this fine tuning and tweaking, am I going to wind up in love with this thing and hating my other rods?

What blank is he going to use?
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apdriver View Post
    What blank is he going to use?
    I have no idea. He asked me a bunch of questions when I took my rod to his shop. He called and asked about a hook keeper today so I guess it is in the process of being built. He is semi retired so I’m figuring it will probably be a while before it is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    So with all this fine tuning and tweaking, am I going to wind up in love with this thing and hating my other rods?
    I hope he’s using a really nice blank on it. Let me say all my retail rods are being replaced with my built customs which are way better in quality from the rooter to the pooter. Quite a few additions to the arsenal too. None of my retail stuff was bought off the high end shelf though.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

9. Member
    I only remember that to fit what I wanted he said the blank would run around $80. I don’t remember what it was called.

10. Member
    What rod did you take him for him to try to match?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    What rod did you take him for him to try to match?
    It is a rod built by Ark Rod when the original owners had it.

12. Member
    Hello, Doug Fisher, owner PCRodworks , ECCobb is on direct point with answers he is giving you . Sounds as though he may have done a little winding at some point. All in balancing but if you were to let him actually use the reel when he begins he can dial it in with possible wright additions to the blank itself producing a balanced hand feel. If he is asking these questions it sounds like he cares about how you feel about the finished product.this service and ability to pick and choose is probably on of the reason you decided to go to a custom builder. Good luck.