Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Loading 20i on Trailer

This may sound like a question from an inexperienced boater, but I am not inexperienced. Have had many boats over the years (Champion, Ranger, Triton, Bullet, even a Gambler back in the day), but have always wanted a Skeeter. Recently bought a 2009 20i with 66 original hours in like new condition. Absolutely love this boat, but have never had so much trouble figuring out how to load on the trailer. No matter how shallow I try to load it, the bow always tries to go under the roller. This weekend, I spent 3 hours on a ramp trying to figure out how to drive it on without the bow diving below the roller, and ended up having to completely submerge the trailer & "float" it up to the bow roller & then lift the bow about 8 inches up to get on top of the roller - not an easy thing to do & I cannot be doing this every time I use it. The trailer is the original "C" channel E-Z Loader with stainless fenders....can anyone offer some assistance? Praying someone can help...

2. Member
    Were you on a steep ramp? Either way, the only way this happens is if the trailer is in too deep. If the front 6-12" of your center bunk boards aren't sticking out of the water, it's in too deep. I find that on steeper ramps, I have to have the trailer shallower than on flatter ramps. You should have to goose it pretty good to get it all the way to the bow roller. If you're going under the roller, the boat isn't hitting the bunks first, which lifts the bow over the roller.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath View Post
    Were you on a steep ramp? Either way, the only way this happens is if the trailer is in too deep. If the front 6-12" of your center bunk boards aren't sticking out of the water, it's in too deep. I find that on steeper ramps, I have to have the trailer shallower than on flatter ramps. You should have to goose it pretty good to get it all the way to the bow roller. If you're going under the roller, the boat isn't hitting the bunks first, which lifts the bow over the roller.
    This pretty much sums it up. I had trouble when I first got my FX21 and it was because on my other boats I could coast the nose up to the roller and, get out and winch it up snug. The way my FX21 fits the trailer, if I have the trailer in deep enough to let me just float the nose to the roller then the bad angle on the trailer bunks from being too deep cause the boats nose to want to go under the roller. It is kind of crazy and counter intuitive. My Skeeter trailer has to be put in with about 12" of the bunks sticking out of the water and I have to drive the boat up to the roller. Trim your engine up and the thrust angle will also lift the bow. It helps to back the trailer in way too deep to get all the bunks fully wet before then pulling up to the right trailer depth and loading the boat. I hope this helps. It is very frustrating at first but you'll establish the right procedures and then think nothing about it.

4. Member
    Hi guys...no sir, I wasn't on a steep ramp. After wetting the bunks, I had about 18" of center bunks out of the water, was a no-go. Nose kept trying to below the roller. I reset trailer with about 24" out, then even more. Then tried deeper, then back shallow, etc., etc. I guess I just haven't found the "sweet spot" they need to be at. I wasn't kidding when I said I spent 3 hours playing with it on the ramp. And, maybe I wasn't giving it enough throttle either. I'll keep trying & hopefully get 'er figured out. Also, ChooChoo, you are absolutely correct, it is completely counter intuitive LOL. Thank you both for responding, I truly appreciate it.

Somethings not right. Our 20i is the easiest boat to load on our trailer. Dunk the bunks all the way, pull up until about 4-6" of the side fenders are sticking out of the water, motor on. Any deeper and the bow wants to go under the roller.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

6. Member
    Is it possible that your winch/bow roller stand has been modified? On my ZX250, the center of the roller is about 17 inches from the top of the trailer.

Or maybe your hitch height?.
    Common Sense...so rare, it's kind of like a SUPER POWER!

8. Member
    Thanks for the responses guys. To answer GM482V, no sir, the winch/bow roller stand is all original. I'll measure it tomorrow morning. Blackknife, frame hitch is on a 2016 RAM (2WD) with 20" wheels, and trailer is level when hooked up. I am so glad a friend told me about this board, you guys are awesome. Was hoping to take it out Saturday & try some more, but unfortunately have been informed I have to go to a wedding....& the fish are biting !!! I will add to this thread next time try to figure it out.

9. Member
    Trim motor so on pins. Get lined up and bump gas make nose pop up

10. Member
    PM me your number I will call you. Had same issue with my FX my solution flawless

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM482V View Post
    Is it possible that your winch/bow roller stand has been modified? On my ZX250, the center of the roller is about 17 inches from the top of the trailer.
    GM482V....finally have the opportunity to reply. The center of the roller from the top of the trailer measures 19.25 inches, wondering about the possibility the factory may have installed the wrong winch/roller stand?

12. Member
    I've got a 98 zx202c that does the same thing if the trailer is too deep. I back in all the way to wet the bunks then pull 2/3 of the bunks out. Little shot of juice and she pops right up and on.

13. Member
    Did you get the problem figured out?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM482V View Post
    Did you get the problem figured out?
    No, I didn't GM....have had to be at weddings last 2 weekends, one of the pitfalls of having a large family and a wife who loves weddings LOL. Did you get my reply to your PM? I have learned from another member that in 2008-2009 time frame, apparently EZ Loader made some mistakes and some of the 20i-class trailers were fitted with winch stands that were too tall. Mine measures 19.25" from top of trailer to center of roller. I was told by this member that he has exact same year, model boat/trailer and that EZ Loader sent him a new winch stand that was 2" shorter (would make it around 17" - 17.5" from top of trailer to center of roller) and it solved his issue, which was same as mine. I have been trying to get in touch with EZ Loader for 2 weeks (calling every day, leaving message 'cause no one answers phone), but so far have not received a call back. I really appreciate your follow-up though. I gotta get this fixed.....

15. Member
    Find you a good welder Sir, They can cut it down and weld it back on.
    Ya just gotta find paint that is close. Good Luck!

16. Member
    Never had it happen-till yesterday. A not very steep ramp by looks, but even with center bunks out of water a good bit, it nosed under. Made me think of this thread. Attached the trailer hook with some slack in the line and backed the trailer up a bit to float it back. Then cranked it on. A little trouble but no big trouble.

17. Member
    I own a 2008 20i. I just measured my winch stand and it is 20.5” from top of trailer to middle of roller. I have never had an issue loading this boat. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself!!

18. Member
    i have 2009 20I with fiberglass fenders. On a normal ramp that's not to steep the top of my fenders r out of the water about 4-6'. Steep ramps i have to pull trailer up a little more.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Find you a good welder Sir, They can cut it down and weld it back on.
    Ya just gotta find paint that is close. Good Luck!
    Yeah, I thought of that BassBum. And my Dad is a great welder, but the trailer is powder-coated or something. Kinda looks like rhino liner, but not sure exactly. Wanna find out from EZ Loader if the right winch stand is on it b4 we start cutting on it, ya know?

20. Member
    Hey folks, with all your suggestions/comments and help I think I have this figured out. I have never owned a boat that has to be "power loaded", but it seems this is exactly what I need to do. I have loaded several times now & getting more confidence each time. Below, have listed what is working for me;

1. Front of middle trailer bunks must be out of water minimum of 24".
    2. Approach speed must be a lot higher than any other rig I have owned.
    3. Motor angle is critical (should be just touching the "pins").
    4. Throttle is critical as well, gotta mat it, and time the bow rise & drop (this is the hardest part for me, 'cause I have seen so many bugs with nose damage).

Again, thanks to everyone for posting your ideas & suggestions - I love this BBC Board !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast