95 Johnson 200 Venom RPM loss

Hello all,
    I'm hoping I can get some assistance. I recently picked up a new to me 98 Skeeter zx202c with the 200 venom. Been working trying to get my WOT to where it should be but I'm having problems breaking 5100 rpm / 50mph. I've been stuck on motor height and prop but no matter what it's set at I can't break 5100 which leads me to beleive it's a motor issue. Running a 25p tempest plus 2.75 below pad. Can't run it higher or my water pressure drops below 15 at 3/4 trim. This should be close to a 70mph platform.

I've elimitated a fuel restriction, new valves, lines, bulb, pump (no vro, pre mix) and fixed a leaking gasket on one of the carbs. Tanks were flushed, 91 fuel only. Pulled each carb and cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air. Replaced the power pack as when I got the rig there was no spark. Eliminated the switch that kills the starboard cylinder bank when shifting. Coils ohm 244-252, spec is 275 +/- 50. Stator doesn't look like it's burnt or leaking. Plugs look good, dark golden brown. I've been keeping an eye on them for a lean condition while I was playing with the carbs. The sleve on the cam roller was missing but the original is 7/16 so I used clear tube I had kicking around. Compression is 96-99 on all cylinders. Let it sit over night trimmed up with seafoam deep creep and ran a seafoam shock treatment the following day. That made a difference at idle for sure.

I did find a bad plug wire which I replaced today. Ran it today and for about 5 mins I could get up to 5800 rpm with a noticable difference coming out of the hole. slowed down for a no wake zone and when I got through and punched it I couldn't break 5100 again. Other than the top end issue she starts right up and idles smooth. No skips or miss fires that I can tell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1126992

Did you dis-assemble carbs and use new kits and follow service manual? Timing/link and sync done per service manual and linkage all working properly?

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply omcforever,
    Yes the carbs were rebuilt with the omc/brp kits including the floats. Timing and link were done as per the manual.