Angry 300 Pro Xs beyond disappointed

2020 300 pro xs i have documented the prop shaft broke at 27 hrs 1 months to get parts, then shift actuator went out at 29 ish hours got boat back friday saturday over heat alarm came on at idle 198 degrees on vessel view at 600 rpm was able to let motor cool down and ran it temp at 135 to 138 but only 15 psi at wot water pressure I took it to dealer today water pump gasket blew out its fixed an I ran it but i dont feel confident anymore thinking of selling whole rig and starting over even tho warranty has covered everthing i am disappointed. sn2b691407
    Last edited by sblnchrd; 06-03-2021 at 07:35 PM.

It’s so disappointing when you have a run like this and even though covered by warranty, I like you, hope these faults, which are clearly due to less than expected quality, never actually fail. Lucky it’s not a prop shaft or shift actuator on an aircraft, then it would be a catastrophe.
    I feel for you and hope this nightmare run ends.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Rode in a buddies newly repowerd Nitro 21 footer with a 300 Pro XS....honestly could not feel much difference between it and my 250 Pro XS. The Speed and holeshot was about the same as my rig.

The overheat at idle is very common with these motors. It seems if the impeller gasket doesn't blow in the first 30 hours it will last to 150 hours. It could be from prop blow out or the prop leaving the water and going back in the water at a high rpm. This would cause a sudden high water pressure that the gasket just can't handle. Mine lasted until 159 hours and I do not recall my prop ever leaving the water or blowing out. The good news is, they are very easy to replace yourself... It sounds like you just had some bad luck with the driveshaft breaking. I have only heard of two of them breaking... My buddy just put a 300 on his 223 Champ and I'll admit, it seems like a turd. It has been checked twice (different dealers) to confirm it's getting 100% throttle. His boat will only do 70mph and would do 75 with the old 300 HDPI. He's tried every prop he can get his hands on and his motor just won't turn over 5800. Merc is telling him to put a 22P prop on. There's no way a 300 should be running a 22p prop. His boat is lighter than mine and I run a 24p on a 250.. I have 195 hours on my 250 and I'll say that I love it. Yes, it's had the oil seal leak and was fixed from recall and I did have to replace the impeller gasket. Overall, i'm very happy with mine. I think once you get the bugs worked out you'll love it too... To help my buddy, what boat, prop and speeds are you seeing?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Information on previous repair specifics may reveal where the most current problem originated. Could have been closer to you.

Idle overheating is NOT a "common" problem with these engines, unless there is a water pump problem or a thermostat problem. Only times I've seen it (at ALL) were caused by pump problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    2020 nitro Z21 Pro Dual console 12. “ atlas 23 fury 3.5 bp 6150-6200 rpm at 75 gps lithium batteries runs best with 3/4 fuel load

7. Member
    SN 2b691407

8. Member
    Very respectable numbers for that big rig!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You've got a PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor