High Pressure Pump failure

Twin 2003 200HP OptiMax: OT700626 & OT674383.

starboard motor is not starting, issue appears to be fuel delivery. Less than 5 psi at fuel rain upon key up, pumps are priming and have 12V. Air is at 80 psi when cranking, if I crank continuously I can get the fuel pressure to rise but not to required 90psi. I let pump prime with hose removed and the pump was moving fuel. Low pressure psi is 15 with key in run position. Visual inspection inside vst looks good, grommets and o-rings are in good shape. I didn’t pull the pump itself yet to check pickup screen. Believe looking at high pressure pump failure but wanted a second opinion before drop $400+ on a new pump. This is coming off winter layup, also scanned and have no codes.

correct the low side first, 20 psi minimum under load
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-01-2021 at 06:24 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Thought it was 6-10 psi for low pressure psi? I only tested LP pump with key in run position

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No sir... normally will come right up to 25+ psi at key on, and drop back down to 15-20 psi when the pump stops.

High pressure pump should bring fuel pressure up to spec within THREE REVOLUTIONS of the engine. If you're not at 90 psi within that time frame... you're probably reading air pressure leaching back through the fuel injectors.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Wanted to update this. Replaced both low and high pressure pumps and she fired right up. Haven’t had a chance to actually run yet but hoping that was the issue.

6. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Well, ran her today and not result I was looking for. Fired rights up, sounds great, idle is good but has almost little to no power above idle. Also smokes badly if try and give throttle, engines just revs with no response. No alarm but I didn’t have scanner to check for faults. There is a water leak, looked like from port tstat housing, also noticeable bubbles from lower unit. Temp was ok though, was 122 at idle.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In gear when accelerating, correct?

Prop hubs are good?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Will update this, bonehead move by me. Changed impeller while waiting for new pumps and forget to reattach shift shaft, lower was staying in neutral… New gasket for tstat fixed leak there as well.