Banned

What does this mean?

Matt 16:28

2. Member
    28 “Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

rexico, it depends on who you ask :)

Most commentaries state it was in reference to the transfiguration which took place about 7 days after Jesus made that comment.

I find that interpretation rather odd when you actually read the passage closely, especially when you read the proceeding verse, vs 27.

27 For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every person according to his[ab]deeds.

1. The use of the word "some" means "most" would not be alive , Unless Jesus knew of some impending catastrophic event that was too occur in the next 7 days I do not see how this is a solution. There is no record in scripture about such an event occurring.

2. There is no mention of Angels being present in the transfiguration accounts.

3. There is no mention of Jesus repaying everyone according to their deeds at the transfiguration.

To get around the seemingly troublesome passage, there are those who believe "some" of those people standing before Jesus that day are "still alive" in our world today. I find that a rather odd interpretation.

Atheist and Agnostics use this passage along with many other passages to show Jesus was a false prophet and bible is unreliable. Reason would suggest that if Jesus did not return "in the glory of his father", with his angels, to judge everyone according to their deeds prior to the death of all of those listeners that day..........................................Jesus could not have been divine , he was a false prophet ect.

* My personal belief is this :

Jesus did exactly what he prophesied regarding those people who were present that day. He returned in the glory of his father , with his angels and repaid everyone according to their deeds before all them died. ( within that generation)
    Last edited by godsdozer; 05-31-2021 at 09:47 AM.

3. Member
    rexico,

The Morning Musing video I posted this morning speaks briefly about the verse you asked about @ the 1:55 minute mark of the video to about the 3:50 minute mark of the video.

Does Mark 16:27 and vs. 28 speak of two separate comings of Christ ? You will see what people do to a plain reading of a text of scripture to save their doctrines/ beliefs.

I would like to hear your thoughts about it after you ponder what is said in this video.
    Last edited by godsdozer; 06-01-2021 at 08:14 PM.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    rexico,

The Morning Musing video I posted this morning speaks briefly about the verse you asked about @ the 1:55 minute mark of the video to about the 3:50 minute mark of the video.

Does verse Mark 16:27 and vs. 28 speak of separate comings of Christ ? You will see what people do to a plain reading of a text of scripture to save their doctrines/ beliefs.

I would like to hear your thoughts about it after you ponder what is said in this video.
    I want to watch tomorrow's vid

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    I want to watch tomorrow's vid

LOL, I don't blame you. If he covers what I think he is going to cover you will find it fascinating. I will give the readers some food for thought.

1. Jesus said he did not know "The Day or The Hour" but only the Father.

2. But, we have inspired writers who wrote the epistles 25 to 35 years after Jesus said those words and the writers of the epistles were confident that they knew :

A. "the end is at hand",

B."the axe is at the root of the tree",

C."the night is far spent, the day is at hand"

D. "“There is about to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.”

E. “It is already the hour for you to awaken from sleep; for now salvation is nearer to us than when we believed. The night is almost gone, and the day is at hand.”

F. “The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.”

G. “The time has been shortened.”

H. “Now these things …were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.”

I. “…we who are alive, and remain until the coming of the Lord… We who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds… …You, brethren, are not in darkness, that the Day should overtake you like a thief.”

J. “For yet in a very little while, He who is coming will come, and will not delay.”

K. “You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand.”

L. “It is the last hour.”

M . Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near.” (Rev. 22:10; Compare Dan. 8:26)

If I am guessing correctly, his video tomorrow will cover how and why after the Holy Spirit was poured out in Acts 2, these men could write with inspiration and authority because the spirit of God rested on them to then know these things, that were not known during Jesus' ministry.

Enjoy !
    Last edited by godsdozer; 06-01-2021 at 08:17 PM.

6. Member
    Dozer,
    Now, ask yourself, was I on point about when you asked to put it to bed.
    BTW, I do agree with some of the paragraphs in post 2.
    Enjoy the ride!

7. Member
    My opinion is that no one but the Father knows the day and hour of the Lord’s return and that all the references, which were inspired by the Holy Spirit refer to them, us and future generations being in the last days. Jesus has come to Earth, fulfilling prophecy spoken of Him, and so the Plan of Salvation has been delivered. How long the prophecies in Revelation will take to fulfill, I have no idea. I believe some of it that we think hasn’t happened possibly has. And maybe what is left might not take long. I am of the opinion the Lord could return today or 1000 years from now or somewhere in between or after. I think I have heard this age referred to as the last dispensation, but I don’t know. I just know we better be ready whether Jesus comes back soon or we go to meet Him.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn View Post
    My opinion is that no one but the Father knows the day and hour of the Lord’s return and that all the references, which were inspired by the Holy Spirit refer to them, us and future generations being in the last days. Jesus has come to Earth, fulfilling prophecy spoken of Him, and so the Plan of Salvation has been delivered. How long the prophecies in Revelation will take to fulfill, I have no idea. I believe some of it that we think hasn’t happened possibly has. And maybe what is left might not take long. I am of the opinion the Lord could return today or 1000 years from now or somewhere in between or after. I think I have heard this age referred to as the last dispensation, but I don’t know. I just know we better be ready whether Jesus comes back soon or we go to meet Him.

Hello fishn , I have a question.

In the bible these words were written by a supposedly inspired writer writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit sent by the Father (Acts chapter 2) shortly after the Fathers son was taken to heaven at his ascension. Here are the supposedly inspired words :

1 John chapter 2 vs 17 ff

The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. 18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.

If no one knew the "day or hour" as you have stated ......................... did the author of 1 John fudge a bit ?
    Last edited by godsdozer; 06-03-2021 at 09:16 PM.

9. Member
    Was John speaking of the End of Times? or the end of the world they were accustomed, now that many were attacking Christians and their believes, hence the many antichrists have come.
    John was trying to get the brethren focused on current situation instead of future attacks of Christ followers.

BTW, it is my personal opinion, so others may vary.

10. Member
    good afternoon dig.........................wooohoo I am glad its the weekend !

Was he writing about the End Times ? Absolutely ................. He warned them about antichrist plural that were already present and The Antichrist (singular). I do not know of any Christian belief system that does not connect The Antichrist to anything other than the End Times.

If you continue to read his letter a few paragraphs down he writes this :

28 And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming.

There is no question, the Apostles taught Jesus' return was imminent.

11. Member
    Hello fishn , I have a question.

In the bible these words were written by a supposedly inspired writer writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit sent by the Father (Acts chapter 2) shortly after the Fathers son was taken to heaven at his ascension. Here are the supposedly inspired words :

1 John chapter 2 vs 17 ff

The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. 18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.

If no one knew the "day or hour" as you have stated ......................... did the author of 1 John fudge a bit ?
    Hi godsdozer, I am no expert but I can give you my opinion. I don’t think he meant hour as in 60 minutes, I think he was referring again to the final times. Remember God looks at time differently than we do, as a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day. In regards to the antichrists, see 1 John 2:22 and 4:3 and 2 John 1:7. Thanks
    Last edited by fishn; 06-04-2021 at 03:31 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishn View Post
    Hi godsdozer, I am no expert but I can give you my opinion. I don’t think he meant hour as in 60 minutes, I think he was referring again to the final times. Remember God looks at time differently than we do, as a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day. In regards to the antichrists, see 1 John 2:22 and 4:3 and 2 John 1:7. Thanks
    Excellent points which is what I was proposing in my earlier post.

13. Member
    Matthew 16:27–28:
    “For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

It is certainly the most embarrassing verse in the Bible.”

C. S. Lewis

14. Member
    I should provide a fuller context the CS Lewis quote

“Say what you like,” we shall be told, “the apocalyptic beliefs of the first Christians have been proved to be false. It is clear from the New Testament that they all expected the Second Coming in their own lifetime. And worse still, they had a reason, and one which you will find very embarrassing. Their Master had told them so. He shared, and indeed created, their delusion. He said in so many words, ‘this generation shall not pass till all these things be done.’ And he was wrong. He clearly knew no more about the end of the world than anyone else.”

It is certainly the most embarrassing verse in the Bible. Yet how teasing, also, that within fourteen words of it should come the statement “But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.” The one exhibition of error and the one confession of ignorance grow side by side. That they stood thus in the mouth of Jesus himself, and were not merely placed thus by the reporter, we surely need not doubt. Unless the reporter were perfectly honest he would never have recorded the confession of ignorance at all; he could have had no motive for doing so except a desire to tell the whole truth. And unless later copyists were equally honest they would never have preserved the (apparently) mistaken prediction about “this generation” after the passage of time had shown the (apparent) mistake. This passage (Mark 13:30-32) and the cry “Why hast thou forsaken me?” (Mark 15:34)together make up the strongest proof that the New Testament is historically reliable. The evangelists have the first great characteristic of honest witnesses: they mention facts which are, at first sight, damaging to their main contention.

C.S. Lewis, "The World's Last Night" (1960)

15. Member
    I do not want to highjack rexico's thread. I will address 2 Peter in another thread (thousand years is as a day).

Yall have a good weekend !

16. Member
    I am pretty sure the NIV version of the Bible has a footnote for “generation” that says “or race”. I am not a Biblical scholar but believe this version is accurate, and I find the footnotes to oftentimes be very interesting, including those that say the meaning of the phrase is not known. But anyway, if the word race is accurate, then Jesus’ statement is not incorrect. And I don’t know of anything that is embarrassing to Him.

I am not on this particular forum much but just wondering what your thoughts are on who Jesus is

Have a blessed evening and weekend all

17. Member
    Jesus is the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. He is the creator of all things and all things are sustained by him. He is the great I am.

18. Member
    Matthew 16:28: Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.

It is certainly the most embarrassing verse in the Bible.”

C. S. Lewis

What is your opinion as to why this man believed such a statement??

This section ends with a controversial comment from Jesus to His closest followers. He has affirmed His role as the Messiah (Matthew 16:16–17) and declared that He will come in glory to repay each person for their deeds (Matthew 16:27). Now He adds that some standing near to hear those words would not die before seeing the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.

Many different explanations have been suggested about what Jesus meant by this prediction. Most scholars and commentators agree He was referring to the "transfiguration," literally the very next event mentioned by Matthew. Jesus will be transfigured from His fully human form into His glorious kingdom appearance as the Son of God. His face will shine like the sun, and His clothes will become white as light (Matthew 17:1–2). Peter, James, and John will be eyewitnesses to this event.

19. Member
    Jesus is the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. He is the creator of all things and all things are sustained by him. He is the great I am.
    thanks