Pantera II or Lynx?

I've been running 20' deep v-hull multispecies boats the past 15 years, but I'm ready to take the plunge back to a bass boat for the first time since an '84 Duracraft way back in the day. I fun fish about 40-45 days/year and plan to finally start fishing club tourneys. My co-angler is nearly always my dad who is in his mid-70's, so my question for those of you familiar with the Pantera II and Lynx is would the Pantera II be comfortable for him (very healthy but prefers to sit in a chair on the back deck) and easy to get around in or would I be better off getting the bigger Lynx? I'm planning to buy new and definitely want something from the Bass Cat family of boats.

2. Moderator
    Those seem to be 2 very different boats in size. Have you considered a caracal? It's smaller than the lynx but is really wide.

3. Member
    As noted above, those are 2 very different boats. Look at a Caracal as well.

4. Member
    I agree with what has been stated. The PII and Lynx are at the opposite sides of the BassCat line up. The Puma package is hard to beat with options/pricing.
    Brad Krone

5. Member
    As mentioned, two completely different boats. The P2 is much smaller than a Lynx overall, and, the Lynx is a lot more expensive. Like Printman has suggested, the Caracal is the boat that I would be looking at for you and Dad. It is a wide body boat like the Lynx, and larger than a P2. Your Dad would have no trouble moving around in it.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

We agree on looking at a Caracal vs. Lynx. If it’s the two of you looking at budget, we suggest the Pantera Classic and a 200, over the Pantera II for casual recreational angling. The P2 is more geared towards intermediate tournament anglers. The Pantera Classic is a starter youth boat or recreational rig.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We agree on looking at a Caracal vs. Lynx. If it’s the two of you looking at budget, we suggest the Pantera Classic and a 200, over the Pantera II for casual recreational angling. The P2 is more geared towards intermediate tournament anglers. The Pantera Classic is a starter youth boat or recreational rig.
    Awesome and thank you BCB (and everyone else) for the feedback. From what I've seen the PII looked like all the boat I'd need, but I wasn't sure how it would be for my dad when he's my co- and figured if it wasn't a good match for him then I'd just go all the way up the lineup to the Lynx. Never gave much thought to the Caracal but after your guys' recommendations I'll definitely be giving it a close look.

Outside of cost, any reasons to go Caracal over Lynx?

8. Member
    A Caracal requires 11" less for storage.

The Lynx is a very big boat and that’s the reason for that choice. Depth may be a challenge for your father if he’s not pretty limber. The Caracal offers a lot shorter hull and does handle rough water well and the hull is also not as deep.

10. Member
    I will say do not over look the classic. I just purchased mine, and am about as serious of a tournament angler as you can get. We fish a ton of team tournaments, and feel like I gained more than I lost over the Pantera II. Front deck is huge, has plenty of room, and fully loaded I’m still mid 70’s all day. My setup isn’t the lightest either. We run dual poles, 25-30 rods, more tackle than you will ever need. Just upgraded to Ionic lithium which has helped a lot also. We were on the fence between the caracal and the classic. The caracal I had quoted setup the same way I have my classic was upper 80’s and the classic came in upper 50’s. Will say you do give up some things, mainly the premium live wells (which I still don’t understand) and fuel capacity. Budget wasn’t a concern with me but I couldn’t see spending the extra 30k. Either of the boats mentioned is a well built boat, and you can’t go wrong either way.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ackool1234 View Post
    I will say do not over look the classic. I just purchased mine, and am about as serious of a tournament angler as you can get. We fish a ton of team tournaments, and feel like I gained more than I lost over the Pantera II. Front deck is huge, has plenty of room, and fully loaded I’m still mid 70’s all day. My setup isn’t the lightest either. We run dual poles, 25-30 rods, more tackle than you will ever need. Just upgraded to Ionic lithium which has helped a lot also. We were on the fence between the caracal and the classic. The caracal I had quoted setup the same way I have my classic was upper 80’s and the classic came in upper 50’s. Will say you do give up some things, mainly the premium live wells (which I still don’t understand) and fuel capacity. Budget wasn’t a concern with me but I couldn’t see spending the extra 30k. Either of the boats mentioned is a well built boat, and you can’t go wrong either way.
    BCB should make a upgraded tournament ready classic an option better trailer and livewells!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

The Pantera II SP series has the same trailer basically. The boat hits its intended market and the layout and buoyancy restricts changing the fuel tanks and some other things people have requested. The long range plan it fits into well.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    BCB should make a upgraded tournament ready classic an option better trailer and livewells!
    Upgrade to 4 inch trailer with 15 inch wheels is an option on the Classic. Mine is 4 inch channel. If you are suggesting a “tournament package” with both trailer and livewell upgrades, that is a nice idea.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

14. Member
    I agree, to say the Classic is not a tourney ready boat isn’t true at all. I’ve got the upgraded trailer, latches, all the lighting as the premium boats. All I’m missing is live well, fuel, and compartment ventilation. The Pantera II is a nice boat but the front deck wasn’t even an option for me. I understand about fuel capacity but the nicer live wells of the premium model is a small cost savings that I think everyone with this boat would have been happy to pay for.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ackool1234 View Post
    Thank you for that feedback and I'm in a fairly similar situation. The Lynx is at the top of my budget, but if the Classic does well with all of those things you mentioned I'd be more than happy to save some money. I thought I had it narrowed down to 2 boats depending on how my dad would likely do in the PII, and now the Caracal and Classic are on the list and the PII is off with the Lynx barely holding on. Good news is I won't be putting in an order until the fall so I still have quite a bit of time to get this figured out.

16. Member
    The live well system is a deal breaker for me on the Classic. I'm probably going to miss the under seat storage of that series though.

17. Moderator
    What is wrong with the classic's livewell system?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    What is wrong with the classic's livewell system?
    There's nothing wrong with it. It just doesn't suit me. I rarely keep fish, and when I do, I keep very few and for a short time. I do not want to fill the wells and rely on the timed aerator. I prefer timed new water. I can keep the few fish I keep alive with very little water a long time that way. I also do not like the drain into the bilge thing. Maybe all Cats do that-dunno. Other boats that I have had have a direct connection to out side so there is at least a little water in there at all times.

I don't believe the classic has a pump out either?

As to the OP, I have had a caracal and several other models. I think the caracal is the best team/ weekend derby boat you can get. Its plenty wide enough for yall both to sit at the bow and crappie fish on a seat rig. The p2 would be more of a solo fishing option/ occasionally brining a co angler. Storage on the caracal is huge btw.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    I don't believe the classic has a pump out either?
    It does.