Problem with my Curado 150 DC

I have a 150 SLX DC that works great but I cannot get the Curado DC adjusted at all, I have to constantly thumb the spool. I have noticed that on the SLX the cast control knob turns very easy but on the Curado DC the knob is hard to turn. I can turn the knob to take the play out of the spool but it still does not perform like the SLX. I have quite a few Curado reels so I thought I would try a DC and it’s a disappointment right now. Could the cast control knob be the issue? Thanks

Read the instructions. You do not adjust these reels with the spool tension knob. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Read the instructions. You do not adjust these reels with the spool tension knob. Dan
    I purchased the SLX first and I read the instructions and followed them and the reel works great. I decided to get the Curado and followed instructions same as SLX but it’s still not right. The instructions say to only tighten the cast control knob enough to take the side to side play out of the spool, is that correct? The cast control knob turns a lot harder than the SLX I have so it makes me wonder if there’s an issue with the reel.

4. Member
    Personally I never did care for the Curado DC and sold mine, never tried a SLX DC for comparison though. I read the instructions and watched some videos as well, I don't recall the tension knob being hard to turn on mine though. For me, the braking was just too inconsistent resulting in more backlashes than I ever get with my other Curado and Chronarch casting reels. After I sold mine I bought a Bantam, don't regret it at all.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

5. Member
    I have 2 of the Curado DC's and both work pretty flawlessly. I don't mess around with the spool tension knob a lot, but mine are not hard to turn at all. I'd guess you have something wrong with the reel if you are experiencing this issue, especially since your SLX DC works fine. Both use the same DC cast control system.

I have one and have not had any issues either. Could be you've got a lemon.

I've got the SLX DC and the spool tension knob is easy to turn. Maybe it's cross threaded? I know on my regular K series it'd be relatively easy to do rushing it or not paying attention with those fine threads.

8. Member
    I have 5 DC's. 1 gave me a heck of a time to get it dialed in. Even called Shimano CS and sent it in. Nothing wrong with it at all. Had some very small diameter line on it and light crankbait. Turns out these reels need a little 'meat' on the bone. I put a heavier line and slightly overadjusted the tension knob and all is well.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    I have 5 DC's. 1 gave me a heck of a time to get it dialed in. Even called Shimano CS and sent it in. Nothing wrong with it at all. Had some very small diameter line on it and light crankbait. Turns out these reels need a little 'meat' on the bone. I put a heavier line and slightly overadjusted the tension knob and all is well.
    Thanks. I’m running 12lb fluorocarbon and the lightest weight I’ve tried has been a 1/4 oz swimbait. Maybe I’ll try and over adjust the tension knob and see what happens.