Holeshot issues mercury 3.0 225

First post !99 mercury 225 efi 0g824872 s/n just got the boat noticed sluggish take off on water plows for 45 seconds or better, I am only getting 10psi on water at wot ,just installed new water pump I thought that number was low havent had it out sense the new one installed. Trimmed all the way down and flooring it I only get 2000rpm it has at 25 tempest plus on it with one vent out and the other 2 drilled it's on a 99 tr-21 . Is this normal to take that long to plane?

2. Member
    That is not normal, don't run it again until you run some tests. I'm no expert, so you will have to be patient and wait for the gurus to reply. Keep in mind it is a holiday weekend and they also have full time jobs. You're in the right place to get this figured out!

3. Member
    Thanks it idles perfect and runs great when it gets on plane w.o.t is 5800. I'm hoping I didn't get screwed on this boat purchase haha, I bout one last year and 6th time out it blew turned out that boat was pieced together.

4. Member
    nope that should be a 4 shutter intake on that one, check it , got boat just like it 2000 model had same mtr ,start with basics , you pay for it before you drove it ???????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    When I test drove ran great bought it from a elderly man that can't get in it anymore he hadn't used in several years

6. Member
    I also looked its a 2 shutter

Quote Originally Posted by Rookieangler View Post
    First post !99 mercury 225 efi 0g824872 s/n just got the boat noticed sluggish take off on water plows for 45 seconds or better, I am only getting 10psi on water at wot ,just installed new water pump I thought that number was low havent had it out sense the new one installed. Trimmed all the way down and flooring it I only get 2000rpm it has at 25 tempest plus on it with one vent out and the other 2 drilled it's on a 99 tr-21 . Is this normal to take that long to plane?
    One large hole pvs plug only for that combo. Need to adjust venting to get 3800 rpm just before nose over
    Set the motor to 3 1/4 p to p for testing, suspect you may be way to high causing low water pressure
    verify water pressure gauge is accurate
    Verify tach is accurate buy comparing to a digital tach,
    When trimmed for top speed, what are the rpms and speed
    Be sure to pump the bulb up before every start, be sure the bulb is mounted in the bilge with arrow pointed up, not in splashwell in direct sunlight

Those motors have issues with idle relief ports being plugged up killing the bottom, drop the lower unit and look at the plate around the drive shaft opening and you can see a few of to get an idea of percentage of restricted ones, if more than 25 % are plugged pull the power head and clean them out, there a bunch of them, you only be able to see 5 or 6 looking up the chest
    Check compression and inspect plugs
    post pictures of the plugs

Post results back here, may be more to discuss
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    put a small hub trophy on it 25 pitch work lots better on a 2 valve mtr, and yes you do need to look at exhaust reliefs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Thanks Leon I will try to get to some of this checked out compression they were all within 5 I will get pictures and post back of plugs

10. Member
    Here is the plug photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    Here is the 10 inch jack plate wasn't sure how to measure prop to hull if you go off bottom step or the higher one

12. Member
    Here is the pvs holes

13. Member
    Idle relief ports does it look bad enough to cause a bad hole shot?

14. Member
    Yes! Clean those out. If I remember correctly, a 3/8 drill bit can be used? If EuropeanAM could possibly chime in on that, he's the guru, it's been a while since I did mine, so don't go jamming a drill in there without verification. If I remember correctly I used a bottlebrush in a drill chuck on mine, cleaned up those ports beautifully. Motor will idle better and sound louder/meaner at idle, as well as come out of the hole better. I can only see a few ports on your pics, it looks like several are completely plugged.

15. Member
    I was just curious if it was bad enough that picture is from the lower up so from what I've read you can only see 6 or 7 holes

They are pretty bad, clean them
    Be sure to check compression before pulling the powerhead
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-31-2021 at 12:05 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookieangler View Post
    Here is the plug photos
    The plugs with the coffee & Cream colored porcelain look good. There is one that is black. That one doesn't look to be firing. May have a bad coil or module.

18. Member
    Looks like it was a blown powerhead gasket which let water into exhaust causing a lot of sludge in the tuner I also completely removed 2pvs plugs