1980 Champion Swift

Hi all,

Bought the below 1980 Champion Swift a couple months back, i love the boat. A lot of fun so far. It has a 1984 Mariner 115 tower of power, what a great sound that thing makes. I am posting today to ask for some repair advice. The boat is solid in most of the areas i have read about being a major concern, transom and stringers. I used a dead blow hammer and cant find any hollow or soft sounding spots. Boat feels solid in big wake. I did just find what seems to be minor rotting (maybe those two words dont go together) below the rear bench seat. The piece of wood next to the gas tank on the port side and the piece of wood spanning the back of the boat under the bench seat (worst rotting) also on port side. I have included pictures below. Some questions.... How critical or not to the structure of the boat are these two pieces of wood? Should i stop running the boat immediately and begin repairing (hoping to make it a winter project if possible)? When i do repair, what is the best approach?
    image3.jpg
    image4.jpg
    image0.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image1.jpg
    Last edited by timscryan; 05-28-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Give Matt Snooks a call at Fractured Fiberglass in Mt. Home. He worked for Champ for years (now owns his own shop) and owns a Swift. https://www.facebook.com/Fractures-F...2214566477880/

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Matt is a good dude! And knows his stuff.

4. Member
    Another Swift! I am no longer alone haha

5. Member
    Nice looking boat

6. Member
    Thank you guys! I am in communication with Matt, we will be talking this week, so he can provide some direction on where to start and really how to fix it the right way.

7. Member
    Nice rig

Was that for sale in Streator, IL by chance?
    Jonathan Graber
    Atlanta, IL

1995 Champion 204 DCX
    1999 Mercury 225 EFI

8. Member
    Yes it was! Was up for sale for quite a while too.

9. Member
    It looked like the one I saw there, I about stopped and checked it out, but didn't have the time. there was one for sale in Pekin, IL a couple years ago also. It was green if I remember correctly. I've always Loved them boats.
    Jonathan Graber
    Atlanta, IL

1995 Champion 204 DCX
    1999 Mercury 225 EFI