Thread: Anise oil

Anise oil

Can anise essential oils be used on plastic baits? They are a lot less expensive than fishing anise oil products.

2. Member
    100% You bet they can, and so can Garlic Oil

So can pam garlic cooking spray.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post

Yes it does do a good, but I prefer to put the oil in some tubs I got to dip it and cast it. When I spray in any type breeze my boat ends smelling like a big garlic bread stick when the sun starts baking down
    Last edited by Crappie Bob; 05-28-2021 at 05:15 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11pounder View Post
    I can't find garlic cooking spray around here for some reason either pam or any other brand.

6. Member
    Mantova Garlic Flavored Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray, and Vegalene on different sites will work as well. I think PAM is in some sort of law suit right now over the flammability of their sprays

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    Mantova Garlic Flavored Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray, and Vegalene on different sites will work as well. I think PAM is in some sort of law suit right now over the flammability of their sprays
    Thanks

8. Member
    Funny story about garlic fish spray. A friend of mine used garlic fish spray and one time the bottle or nozzle or something broke. So he put the garlic spray in an empty spray butter bottle. Not long after this our bass club gave away a free 1/2 day fishing trip at a youth event. On the day of the free fishing trip he was catching fish on a plastic worm, sprayed with the garlic in a butter bottle spray. The youngster was evidently very watchful. A few days later my friend got a phone call from the boys mother asking if it mattered what brand of butter spray she bought.

Lol

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member

11. Scraps
    When I started fishing in the 80s that was a popular way to lube up soft baits.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    Gonna google it. My friend say he has had good success with essential oil type anise . He states 2-3 drops in the herring brine is all you will need. So I usually use https://volant.no/ to get essential oils but cannot find anise EO there
    Last edited by RonShow; 01-04-2022 at 06:02 AM.

13. Scraps
    A way back in the day anise oil was what e'rybody used. I also used to grind up kosher salt and sprinkle on my plastics. The plastic would get a little more supple and soft.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Just put a couple drops in the bags with them.

15. Member
    Get the anise in the cake box isle at the store. Its a water based product but it will stay on the bait a long time. Much cheaper than the oils and it smells the same. Pour a few drops in a bag is all thats needed.

One time years back I decided to do an experiment at home with a bass I had in an aquarium. I tossed a tube bait in with some vegetable oil on it to see what he'd do. He immediately bit it then split it out and then swam around for the next ten minutes or so trying to spit the remnants of oil out. After that he was reluctant to bite that tube for awhile. I've been leery about putting oils on baits ever since. I guess you just have to make sure it's something they actually want.
    Last edited by LennyB; 01-05-2022 at 10:10 AM.