150 hp sho 4 stroke

I hear these motors are great very reliable is that true?

2. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Yes
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

3. Member
    The 150hp Yamaha is the best selling and most reliable engine Yamaha has made. That being said I have not had any experience with a 150 SHO. I think the SHO problems were mainly in the bigger engines. Not the 150’s. Correct me if I’m wrong… I’m sure someone will.

4. Member
    I have a 175 that's been great so far. The f150 is legendary for reliability. The older f150 was a 2.7L but the current F150 is 2.8L and shares a block with the 2.8L (150 & 175) SHO motors as well as the F200.

I've never been able to find the mechanical differences between the F series and SHO motors. Like said, the problems I've heard with SHOs are with the big block motors. I suspect the problems with the big SHOs and, really, all bass boat motors is how they're run and maintained. Those salt water boys, especially the commercial operators, probably get so many hours out of their motors because they service them well and run them at a steady cruising RPM for a long time after a good warmup. We bass boat boys run 'em wide open without much warmup and cooldown.