Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Removing a passenger console...hear me out

Let's say you found a great boat at a great price ($4K under NADA, probably $10K under the current market with all of the options it has). Really lightly used, garage kept 21 footer, 250 power with low hours, Hydraulic plate, sticks, custom cover etc. Everything except a spotlock TM which you already have and can swap out and graphs that were top of the line maybe 6-7 years ago but again you have some new graphs you can swap out. It's even the color you want.

The only sticking point from a personal preference perspective is that it's a dual console and you hate dual consoles. You even sold a previous boat after having it a year because it was dual console.

Do you buy it and cut out the console? Knowing full well that you'll have to probably spend a few grand to get it to look cosmetically pretty (you also know a good glass guy who can shoot gel) and will have to replace the cockpit carpet (probably with Sea Dek, might as well right?). The top cap is white and it has zero sun damage so the match shouldn't be a problem.

2. Member
    I should also mention that I did this once before but on a boat that wasn't nearly as nice and my results were better fishability but also ended up a little ugly. I didn't really want to sink much into that one.

Might be better to just keep on shopping for the boat that you really want.

4. Member
    Punt

5. Member
    I would think a 6 or 7 year old boat might have A console that was pretty easy to remove. My 2005 Stratos has one that came from another boat, only has 5 bolts and some silicone that holds it in.

I wanted a single console when I found mine, and it was too good to pass up. I planned for the first year or two to remove it, but the older I get the more I appreciate the dual console. I like it now, and have no intention on changing it. It sounds like you gave it a chance though, and still don't like dual consoles. It's your money, your boat, and your decision. I believe you could justify the expense of having it modified to fit your taste if you can not find what you want for less than what the modification would cost. It's a tough market for a boat buyer right now, so you may have to get something that isn't perfect and make it so to be satisfied.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

7. Member
    Depends on the boat and the year on how easy it is to remove. I know a guy that had a 03 triton that he was able to remove it and just used some tape stuff to cover up the slots in the fiberglass...
    Fish have fins, they swim

8. Member
    Don’t buy it.

9. Member
    Cut that SOB out.

10. Banned
    You sound like me. I hate dual console boats, The boat I have now had a passenger console but fortunately it was a bolt on. Took that sucker out as soon as I got it home.

If it's a screaming deal and it's "the boat" you plan to keep for a a while, I'd say cut away. Cover the cut line with trim molding or rubber trim matting. You can make it look good.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Cut that SOB out.
    Haha Classic. My Dual Console wasn't my preference 10 years ago when I bought it but it was a good deal and now I like it. My glove compartment is crammed full of so many things I cant imagine not having it and my daughter wouldn't go if it was cold in a single console.

12. Member
    Yep. Not having a passenger console is like giving the middle finger to anyone that goes with you on a cold morning...

Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    Yep. Not having a passenger console is like giving the middle finger to anyone that goes with you on a cold morning...

I don't buy a boat for someone else. If someone goes fishing with me and bitches that there isn't a console, they can go buy their own damn boat!!!
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    Boat got sold out to someone else this morning. The guy had called a day before me and the seller told me he had first shot even though I would have been willing to buy it sooner so I kind of respect that. Anyway, it was an 09 2100 Super Bee with a 250 HPDI and all the bells and whistles. He was asking $26K. Even with the Fortrex and the HDS8's you know he could have gotten a lot more these days. I wouldn't have even had to drive to get it, it was literally in a town on my way to work.

15. Member
    I don’t really understand hating a dual console. A little more crowded for a co angler packing rods, but I’ve had both and never noticed it getting in the way.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

16. Banned
    I hate dual consoles. Cut that sucker out

17. Member
    You weren't supposed to get that boat.
    GETFISHED !!!

Keep looking

2009 ELITE 210

19. Member
    Took mine out 6 years ago. Boat feels so much bigger. Fish year round. Co has to dress for it

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Took mine out 6 years ago. Boat feels so much bigger. Fish year round. Co has to dress for it
    As a co angler, I will gladly bundle up a bit to have the extra space in the boat. Another reason I don't care for it is when I rig rods and tackle I usually sit where the passenger console would be.
    Fish have fins, they swim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast