2000 triton tr20 with 07 ficht 225 setup

I had a 2000 Johnson 200 that was awesome until I blew it up and a buddy sold me this 225 at a deal I couldn't pass up. It is night and day different as far as speed and I just need recommendations as far as motor height and props to get it where it needs to be. I currently have a 26 fury 3 blade on it

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zckhicks View Post
    I had a 2000 Johnson 200 that was awesome until I blew it up and a buddy sold me this 225 at a deal I couldn't pass up. It is night and day different as far as speed and I just need recommendations as far as motor height and props to get it where it needs to be. I currently have a 26 fury 3 blade on it

Hull rating 200 hp ? I wouldn't expect much feedback if that is correct.

3. Member
    Start where the old motor was.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    Hull rating 200 hp ? I wouldn't expect much feedback if that is correct.
    Even if it is, 25 horses ain't gonna rip it apart,or be "unsafe"......

5. Member
    my 200 blew up and a buddy let me have this 225 at a steal so I could'nt pass it up. it runs fantastic woth no worries, just wondering how to optimize my setup. I went from 55mph with the old motor to now upper 60's. of coarse it walks but nothing crazy.

6. Member
    thanks in advance

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zckhicks View Post
    my 200 blew up and a buddy let me have this 225 at a steal so I could'nt pass it up. it runs fantastic woth no worries, just wondering how to optimize my setup. I went from 55mph with the old motor to now upper 60's. of coarse it walks but nothing crazy.
    Sounds like your old motor was not running right to begin with. It also seems since you know the speeds that you already mounted it on your hull. Do you have a jack plate? Manual or hydro? I would have measured PTP on the old motor and started there. Hard to get that now unless you remount it back on.
    Triton 180DC---150hp Yamaha Vmax HPDI---Bobs 6" Hydro Plate---24 Tempest Plus---Ultrex---Lowrance Carbons

8. Member
    The guy I bought the newer motor from was switching shops and put it on for me. I have a manual jackplate on it. The old motor was a Johnson 200 and had literally a ton of hours, old reliable, not fast but dependable.

9. Member
    Start with your prop to pad at 3" under and see if that doesn't get rid of the chine walk. You can raise it higher 1/4" at a time until you gain rpm's but lose speed, loose bow lift or water pressure. The higher you can run it prop to pad the less chine walk it will have but it won't run as high as a Mercury motor.

10. Member
    Awesome. Thanks