Thread: Hydrofoils

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hydrofoils

Anybody have a preference for which one they prefer over the other? I'm really on the fence about drilling into my anti cavitation plate, but I've been eyeballing three of them right now, all have the potential to gain speed and the obvious better holeshot which is really what I'm after, I have a hydraulic jack plate so lifting the motor out a bit of the water is possible:

SE400 no-drill hydrofoil (yes I know, it's plastic but has a promising design)

35c0155b-902a-5c44-b826-9d136c27d6d0.jpeg.jpg

Davis Instruments Whale Tail XL (currently have this one sitting in my garage)

Screenshot_20210508-110047_Samsung Internet.jpg

Bob's Machine shop True Tracker stabilizer

IMG_0425-scaled.jpg

Your thoughts are welcome, but please no nay saying about how they are a band aid.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

Mercury loves to deny warranty claims when holes are drilled in their motor. Get the right prop. Find the right motor height. Most times, a foil is covering up an imperfect setup, out of whack load or underpowered rig.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Mercury loves to deny warranty claims when holes are drilled in their motor. Get the right prop. Find the right motor height. Most times, a foil is covering up an imperfect setup, out of whack load or underpowered rig.
    Everything is correct and optimized. I'd love to see them try to prove that a hydrofoil was the cause of their engine failure. I'm most likely out of warranty in every aspect at this point with all the mods I've done to this rig anyways. Lol.

This is more about getting faster holeshot. That's all there is to it.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

4. Member
    BOBS prob will have less ill efects on steering
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    BOBS prob will have less ill efects on steering
    Do you figure that because of the size of it or because of the design?
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

What prop are you running and what is your WOT RPMs?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Design.

Be careful with this... because with rigs in this class you can potentially end up with a TON (almost literally) of force or weight resting against the aft end of the Anti-Ventilation Plate. For this reason, I'm not at all fond of the designs that extend AFT of the end of the Anti-Ventilation plate. Especially not thrilled with the SE one.

BEST option is to balance out the boat, look into a small weld near the transom to act as a trim tab, etc. Lots of "tweaks" out there, check out the Tin-Boat's sections (some of those folks have spent thousands trying things... you might be able to benefit from some of their "research").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

What prop are you running and what is your WOT RPMs?
    Merc Vengeance 15 pitch, 6000 RPM at WOT. If I remember right I think initial holeshot comes in at about 3000 RPM. It might be a little more but it is good.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Design.

Be careful with this... because with rigs in this class you can potentially end up with a TON (almost literally) of force or weight resting against the aft end of the Anti-Ventilation Plate. For this reason, I'm not at all fond of the designs that extend AFT of the end of the Anti-Ventilation plate. Especially not thrilled with the SE one.

BEST option is to balance out the boat, look into a small weld near the transom to act as a trim tab, etc. Lots of "tweaks" out there, check out the Tin-Boat's sections (some of those folks have spent thousands trying things... you might be able to benefit from some of their "research").
    Got any threads on this stuff? I have searched but have not found anything in particular helpful.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I don't frequent those particular forums much... but you could ask on there, some of those guys can probably share their experiences.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    This is what Don is talking about...

2009_11080004.JPG

In my case it's not a welded on piece it's actually the hull bottom extending beyond transom and mfr advises it can be tweaked if necessary.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Member
    What exactly is the problem with your hole shot? How far out of the water can you get the cavitation plate at WOT without the prop ventilating? The foil will hurt you if it contacts any water at speed but be a non issue if up and out of the water.If your boat wallows around on the hole shot,a foil will help that but too bad you need to drill holes to find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    This is what Don is talking about...

2009_11080004.JPG

In my case it's not a welded on piece it's actually the hull bottom extending beyond transom and mfr advises it can be tweaked if necessary.
    Interesting looking setup. It's like an entire piece of aluminum which has been welded to the hull. What does this accomplish exactly? I understand it basically gives you a "longer" hull, but I can't see an extra inch giving you that much more of an "edge" for holeshot and planing abilities. Got any insight on this mod?
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

Quote Originally Posted by blackboat View Post
    What exactly is the problem with your hole shot? How far out of the water can you get the cavitation plate at WOT without the prop ventilating? The foil will hurt you if it contacts any water at speed but be a non issue if up and out of the water.If your boat wallows around on the hole shot,a foil will help that but too bad you need to drill holes to find out for sure.
    I just want a faster holeshot. Current holeshot hits about 3400 RPM (confirmed today) in about 4.5-5 seconds plane time. I want to try and cut that down further. Current motor is a 60 HP and plenty powerful. Tops out at about 43.5 mph in wavy conditions, but once I get on it, with the livewell full or a buddy which weighs anywhere from 200-250 that time increases a little bit, so just trying to squeeze that last bit out of it before I call it good and am totally happy with the setup.

Here is a photo of full out plane. This is prior jack plate but you get the idea.

20210527_180627.jpg
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 05-27-2021 at 08:10 PM.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

15. Member
    TIN BOATS ^^^^^^^+1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

16. Member
    Good advice!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    Interesting looking setup. It's like an entire piece of aluminum which has been welded to the hull. What does this accomplish exactly? I understand it basically gives you a "longer" hull, but I can't see an extra inch giving you that much more of an "edge" for holeshot and planing abilities. Got any insight on this mod?
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579
    In my case it's not a welded on piece it's actually the hull bottom extending beyond transom...
    For MY boat (see my sig pic) there is no "holeshot". The extension can be used to trim boat in same manner as trim tabs but only for normal as loaded conditions. Yes, I have tweaked the "extension" to obtain desired result.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

18. Member
    In the past I've used a DoelFin for holeshot problems. None will give you more top speed.

Hey guys great advice all around, so thanks for chiming in. I picked up an SE400 just because I figured what the heck and tried it out yesterday. Holeshot was crazy fast with two people, and loaded down with gear at about 4 seconds. Before it used to be 4.5-5 seconds just with me in it. Water conditions were absolutely horrid and tide was insanely low where I was at, so I didn't have a chance to really give it any top speed testing, but so far I'm liking the changes to it. It also managed to maintain my plane at a much lower necessary speed, where as before it was at about 25+ mph just to stay on plane.

I'll give another update when I get a chance to properly test it by myself to see where things are at. So far, so good though.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

20. Member
    good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast