Thread: Hydrofoils

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    Merc Vengeance 15 pitch, 6000 RPM at WOT. If I remember right I think initial holeshot comes in at about 3000 RPM. It might be a little more but it is good.
    Not at all good. Get the prop and venting tuned to achieve 3800 before the bow drops and the correct pitch to get the RPM right near the limiter
    Foils only try to compensate for a poor setup, I do run a CB foil but it does nothing to improve hole shot. It is there to stay on plane at lower speeds and reduce back wash
    I would ship the prop off to Mark Croxten for custom tuning
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-18-2021 at 11:18 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Not at all good. Get the prop and venting tuned to achieve 3800 before the bow drops and the correct pitch to get the RPM right near the limiter
    Foils only try to compensate for a poor setup, I do run a CB foil but it does nothing to improve hole shot. It is there to stay on plane at lower speeds and reduce back wash
    I would ship the prop off to Mark Croxten for custom tuning
    That was incorrect. My holeshot kicks in at 3400 RPM now that I've really looked at it. Hydrofoil does reduce backwash now and does improve plane speeds significantly. Time to plane is down to 4 seconds flat where as before it took 4.5-5 seconds. Normal WOT speed increased to 41.7 MPH vs before which was around 39.5 in relatively calm conditions. Max top out has always been 43.5 MPH with and without the foil and I've noticed I can typically trim the motor a little higher now vs before.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the setup and many of the other folks I have talked to regarding RPMs, holeshot, and max speeds have all said about the same thing. Foils don't compensate for a poor setup alone, they do solve other setup issues as well including weight and to say they only compensate for a poor setup is somewhat of a blanket statement. No disrespect with what I just said by the way.
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 06-22-2021 at 07:47 AM.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    That was incorrect.
    In general (with bassboats such as are covered in these forums), the statement WAS correct. Your boat is not exactly a standard setup, between the "conversion", and the jackplate (which are very seldom found in this boat series).

For your boat setup, I don't doubt that you saw an improvement in performance. That does not, however, mean that the same or a similar improvement couldn't be had by other means.

Glad you found what you were looking for, however- after all, you're the one that has to be happy with "your" boat.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    In general (with bassboats such as are covered in these forums), the statement WAS correct. Your boat is not exactly a standard setup, between the "conversion", and the jackplate (which are very seldom found in this boat series).

For your boat setup, I don't doubt that you saw an improvement in performance. That does not, however, mean that the same or a similar improvement couldn't be had by other means.

Glad you found what you were looking for, however- after all, you're the one that has to be happy with "your" boat.
    Yeah I guess some of the things on my series are not necessarily the norm you see on other similar setups. The areas I fish can get incredibly shallow sometimes (like less than a foot deep, and the extra oomph is much appreciated, I just wanted to optimize it the most I could to get the most out of it in general.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12