Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black lake / St lawrence

Hey guys hoping for a little help here. Will be making first trip of year to Black lake (July1-5). Have made several trips a year there but this time I am thinking of taking a day trip over to the St Lawrence. Any info on public launches that I could use or any other helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Will be staying at Black lake little north of Edwardsville. Not sure if Morristown or Chippewa Bay launches would be better. Any info on water levels etc would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.
    Skip Bogert-- Kempton, Pa
    2019 Ranger Rt 188 ( fusion )-115 Pro XS- MK ultrex

2. Member
    For launches theres Keywadin state park, Waddington town ramp, town ramp in cape Vincent, town ramp in Morristown, town ramp in Chippewa bay etc. needless to say within a 30min drive of black lake there’s a number of ramps you could use.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    There is a launch in Ogdensburgh. There is also one at Jacques Cartier State Park. Not sure of the hours of the park.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    If were me id be focusing on st lawrence w a day trip to black lake.

5. Banned
    Chippewa bay launch is the closest. That's what I use when staying on Black in the Edwardsville area at Camp Wildwood.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    If were me id be focusing on st lawrence w a day trip to black lake.
    It very well might end up that way. Will fish Black Thursday afternoon when arriving load boat in evening Friday head to river, if we get on them boat will stay loaded on trailer. Thanks for all the info guys

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    There is a launch in Ogdensburgh. There is also one at Jacques Cartier State Park. Not sure of the hours of the park.
    easy drive to odgensburg. I stayed at Camp Carol on Black Lake and made the drive to Ogdensburg every morning. I didn’t even fish Black Lake despite being 100 feet from it.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

8. Member
    Black Lake seems to be feast or famine. Went there last year and of course it was during the peak of an algae bloom and caught maybe 10-12 bass the whole week, it was rough. Wished I had at least taken a day or two on st lawrence.
    Nitro Z18
    175hp ProXS

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bschwoep View Post
    easy drive to odgensburg. I stayed at Camp Carol on Black Lake and made the drive to Ogdensburg every morning. I didn’t even fish Black Lake despite being 100 feet from it.
    dont blame ya.. black lake is not the same lake of 20 or 25 years ago when its was ranked in the top 10. Compared to most NY waters and how there fishing now Black lake is really not worth the time. Especially with a world class fishery like st lawrence 15 min away..

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzebackpro7 View Post
    Black Lake seems to be feast or famine. Went there last year and of course it was during the peak of an algae bloom and caught maybe 10-12 bass the whole week, it was rough. Wished I had at least taken a day or two on st lawrence.
    My bud and I take a trip to Black every Sept, kind of a tradition for the last 30 years. Last year was the worst fishing I have every experienced there and I've been fishing there since the late 70's.

11. Member
    4th of July weekend. Crowds. Yuck.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    I don't mind the crowds, but it's the A$$ holes that make me see red.

13. Member
    Thanks for the info, just crossed black lake off of Aug vacation destination.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

14. Member
    Have a place on the lake. Opening week and I see the stringer brigade loading up. Surprised there are any bass left by Labor Day. Been whacking them good all week. Caught 13 bass over 15 inches in one hour on the same spot. Never had that ever happen before in 30 years.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan 492VS View Post
    Have a place on the lake. Opening week and I see the stringer brigade loading up. Surprised there are any bass left by Labor Day. Been whacking them good all week. Caught 13 bass over 15 inches in one hour on the same spot. Never had that ever happen before in 30 years.
    Thats what I like to hear.... There is a spot on that lake that I do very similar to. Not all the time but usually at least once per trip, doesn't matter what month at some point they always turn on at that spot. Wonder if it's the same spot. Be up there July 1-5 , 17-24 August 21-28

16. Member
    I was up there last week. Stayed on the lower side
    Fishing was terrible, weeds were bad (first time in 40yrs since going up, saw the machine out cutting them).
    Crowds were worse than last year.

ones I saw at the cleaning station were all in 15-16 range.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Ding ding ding, winner winner chicken dinner!

I really hate the 4 July crowds, especially the crapper holes with jet skies.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank137 View Post
    I was up there last week. Stayed on the lower side
    Fishing was terrible, weeds were bad (first time in 40yrs since going up, saw the machine out cutting them).
    Crowds were worse than last year.

ones I saw at the cleaning station were all in 15-16 range.
    There is nothing like hot weather and low water to turn on the weed making machine.
    Weed lines are very well established, and that may be an underestimate.

19. Member
    All you guys that think black lake gets that full on holiday weekends I will gladly let you come to my local lakes anytime so you can see what a crowded lake really looks like.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Liquid Therapist View Post
    All you guys that think black lake gets that full on holiday weekends I will gladly let you come to my local lakes anytime so you can see what a crowded lake really looks like.
    With all due respect, I am sure the littler lakes in your area get jammed up on wkend, just as bad as A-Bay or Clayton do these days with all the clowns running around in jet boats and jet skies.
    I used to love fishing Picton Island/ Maple island coves and T. I. Park/ Fishers Landing, but know need to wait mid wk or very early mornings.

Another butt holes in the past few yrs have been the littler tour pontoon boats, with bring them too close for my comfort, especially Eel bay/ Canoe Point area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast