Question Bass Fishing at Carl Blackwell?

I love Lake Arbuckle...but I hate the 1:45 hour drive and having to fight the OKC, Moore, and Norman traffic to get there and back, not to mention the never-ending construction at Broadway Ext. and I-44. I sometimes go to Bell Cow and Prague but the timber and muddy water throw me off my style. I was looking at a map and noticed Carl Blackwell. I fished there one afternoon about 20 years ago and then sort of forgot about it being there. A little research tells me that it's about an hour closer and a 1000 acres bigger (which really surprised me) than Arbuckle. It seems like a really nice lake to go spend a quite morning or afternoon....But how's the bass fishing? Don't care about Saugeye or Hybrids, just black bass.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    Arbuckle is not that great to me. I catch a big one every once in a while, but cannot consistently catch numbers of 2 to 5 pounders. Try Ft Cobb, American horse.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

3. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Carl Blackwell better than arbuckle imo. But only been once and cracked em. Has more diversity than buckle but can get dirty.

4. Member
    CB also has hybrids in it that will yank your arm off! Walleye too.
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

Been wondering the same thing. Going to Arbuckle can be a hassle with the construction and metro traffic.

anyone tried Stroud Lake??

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    Not this year, but last fall was great. Lots of grass and plenty of quality fish.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

That’s an idea. That’s a nice lake. I enjoyed a few pops at that lake when a couple of us slipped out of a sales meeting at a local motel where they would have the Tulsa guys and the OKC meet.

An old friend of mine used to smackem’ pretty good at Cushing Lake. Never been there either.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    stroud was ok a few years back. Tons of small fish but lots of decent crappie. Went back last year and those small fish grew up, caught quite a few quality fish last year in the grass. Not sure about the crappie anymore. Definitely a good short day destination.

Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    stroud was ok a few years back. Tons of small fish but lots of decent crappie. Went back last year and those small fish grew up, caught quite a few quality fish last year in the grass. Not sure about the crappie anymore. Definitely a good short day destination.
    Do you ever work?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Went to Stroud a month or so ago on a nasty day and caught a few. All small.

12. Member
    I fish Stroud pretty regular, I’ll pull a decent one once in a while, but most of all they are small fish. Just a little bit north and east of Carl Blackwell is Lake McMurtry, that’s not a bad lake. Seems to be cleaner than Carl Blackwell, and also not as crowded. I live near the Edmond area as well, so I understand it frustration of lakes nearby. To be honest there’s some decent largemouth in Hefner, that’s that’s like fishing in the city..... because you are.

13. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    Do you ever work?
    when I was fishing stroud often a few years back I was building in stroud. Lol those contractors needed a break from the super once a week lol

Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    when I was fishing stroud often a few years back I was building in stroud. Lol those contractors needed a break from the super once a week lol
    I get it. I was doing estimates for F.A. Highley when I got my first tin boat. They sent me all over the state and I half the time I had that Tracker wagging along behind my old Jeep GC. That is what I was doing the one time I went to Carl Blackwell....doing an estimate in Stillwater. Customers always got a laugh out of the countertop salesman showing up with a boat in tow.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    There is some nice Bass in CB. Also a lot of recreation boaters when it's warm. How far is it to Lone Chimney Lake?

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

16. Member
    Boat ramp isn't great, Langston is close to you also.
    And there is always Lake McMurtry

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115