Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone caught any hybrid (stripe x white bass) before?

Caught a few over the weekend and trying to get a feel for sizing them up. Anyone have any experience that can comment on how big they get, what a big one is, good table fare etc?

2. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Yes. 8-10 pounds is big here and 5 plus is common. Very good eating. I always turn them back because I fish for crappie alot and usually have some of that in the freezer. Actually caught some Friday Morning.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

The ones I get are usually 3-5#. Hard fighting little guys. Hit a few on Amistad 8-10# and one was 13. That one was a beast. Personally they aren't my favorite eating fish but properly done they're OK. They'll put a bend in a fly pole.

Nope. We don't have either Striped, White or Hybrids. If they were in the Columbia R., the DF&W would say not to eat them, because of the mercury in the water and fish. They seem to imply that's human caused polution, but it is often natural.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

5. Member
    They are a blast...get into one in the 10-11lb range they they real nasty lol

I stuck one on a jig a few years ago in 6fow lol...i was sure my buddy and i were getting paid lunker easy that day lol...9lb striper lol

They eat pretty good...not as good a pure bred though imo
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

6. Member
    They can take warmer water temp's than pure Stripers is one reason they are stocked in more smaller and warmer lakes.

7. Member
    I fish for them a ton...hence my username. LOL

They are an absolute blast to catch. I fish a mix of live bait and artificial. Most in my area run 2-6 lbs., but it really depends on the cross variety they are using. My largest is just over 14 lbs and is a current lake record. You get mixed reviews on meat quality but I personally love them. The ones who tend to not like them don't remove the dark red from the filet that will give the meat a much gamier taste.

Quote Originally Posted by hoochhybrid View Post
    I fish for them a ton...hence my username. LOL

They are an absolute blast to catch. I fish a mix of live bait and artificial. Most in my area run 2-6 lbs., but it really depends on the cross variety they are using. My largest is just over 14 lbs and is a current lake record. You get mixed reviews on meat quality but I personally love them. The ones who tend to not like them don't remove the dark red from the filet that will give the meat a much gamier taste.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Great eating if you remove the fat. One caution is to check local lake restrictions. In some lakes like Hartwell, you cannot eat a single one due to pollution.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Yes

11. Member
    Marinate the fillets, then grill. Delicious

12. Member
    The fish & wildlfe claim there’s none in Cumberland here, but when you see the ones with broken lines, a different build & their stronger than normal it’s pretty easy to recognize.

They get pretty big. Not good for the ecosystem.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    If you are interested in eating wipers and haven't caught white bass or stripers before its worth looking at a YouTube video about how to fillet and remove the red meat for decent eating. I've only eaten stripers and for me, they are not a fish you cook in the grease like a crappie or bass fillet but more likely broil, blacken or pay fry with a bit of butter. We like to blacken stripers and flake the meat for fish tacos, pretty tasty that way.

15. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    If you are interested in eating wipers and haven't caught white bass or stripers before its worth looking at a YouTube video about how to fillet and remove the red meat for decent eating. I've only eaten stripers and for me, they are not a fish you cook in the grease like a crappie or bass fillet but more likely broil, blacken or pay fry with a bit of butter. We like to blacken stripers and flake the meat for fish tacos, pretty tasty that way.
    agree with most of this except the fact that they are a great fish to coat and fry up for a fish fry.. it is just sometimes due to the size you might need to half the filets.. In fact I like the texture of whites and hybrids. The meat is a little tougher or stiffer (for lack of a better term they aren't tough at all )

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

We have them here, they are fighters.

My biggest is a 16 lb’er out of Grand Lake. They are a blast to catch. We eat them and think they are very good. You just have to be sure to cut all the red meat out. Not crappie or walleye good, but good. Try it, you’ll like it. Edwin Evers has a video out where he caught a monster hybrid below Grand Lake dam. He didn’t weigh it, but it looked to 14-15 lbs.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

18. Member
    They have exploded here in Lake Anna recently....a 4/6 pounder is average sized but they have starting getting some 8-10 pounds recently

19. Member
    Catch them pretty often on Greers here. They can absolutely crush a bait. Getting into a school with an Alabama rig is something else

Have caught a lot of them in past years on the Arkansas River in eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas. Tons of fun when you get into a school of whites and hybrids. Never caught one over five pounds, but catching 50-60 of them in an afternoon will wear you out.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast