MATTAWOMAN 5- 28 -2021

I hadn't been to the Potomac in 2 years, so me and 2 friends went sat. Had a great day of fishing but I have a question.We caught 5 blue cats on a bass jig, They were 12 to 15 lbs. Is it common for those big cats to be spawning now or what? The reason I ask is we caught them close together. I'm not a cat fisherman but it sure was fun.

2. Member
    SO if I had reported on the bass we caught maybe I would get a reply? LOL no one cares about the cats.

3. Member
    Not sure about the spawning thing but last year my son caught a 15 plus pound blue cat back in the creek on a chatter bait. From talking with other people seems pretty common to catch big cats in the area.

4. Member
    Yea I'm not sure of why we caught them so close in one area. I catch one here and there at Buggs island lake but not like this.

5. mikesxpress
    Blue cats move shallow and begin to spawn in the Potomac when the water temperature hits 70°. This lasts for 2-3 weeks. Not unusual to catch multiple fish in the same location if the area is suitable for them to spawn. Arkendale wrecks are a prime example of "suitable" habitat. Current break and protected pockets. You can trash allot of spinner baits there right now.

6. Member
    Ok I just wondered about it. Thanks for the info.