2200 DC Jack Plate/Steering at WOT

I've got an 04 2200 DC with a 2003 250xs, 10 inch bobs with a 2 inch spacer, and a Bravo 1 28 P prop (2 out of 8 plugs in).

My question is .... When I took the boat out yesterday and learning how to drive it I had the jackplate around the 3.5/4 mark on the bobs digital meter. Which from measuring seems to be around 3-4 inches prop to pad.

However I have heard that ideally you'd like to have 1.5 to 2 inches prop to pad, which would mean I'd need to bring my jackplate all the way up to achieve this. However when I would bump the jack plate up, even slightly, from the 3.5 position (on dial) the steering would become noticeably stiff and hard to turn... this doesn't seem normal or safe if the boat begins to walk and I need to make inputs to keep it on pad.

Is this a trimming issue? or normal?

that is normal....
    tighter and harder to turn, YES, but assuming you have a TORQUEMASTER gen 1 lower unit, you should still have plenty of control at high speeds...
    when you lower the jack plate, it does make it easier to turn, however you wont be as Fast or STable on top end...
    normally right where the "free and Tight" meet is your sweet spot...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Okay. From a stability standpoint this does make sense.
    Hopefully this weather in Oklahoma breaks off, to get some seat time in.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22G View Post
    I've got an 04 2200 DC with a 2003 250xs, 10 inch bobs with a 2 inch spacer, and a Bravo 1 28 P prop (2 out of 8 plugs in).

My question is .... When I took the boat out yesterday and learning how to drive it I had the jackplate around the 3.5/4 mark on the bobs digital meter. Which from measuring seems to be around 3-4 inches prop to pad.

However I have heard that ideally you'd like to have 1.5 to 2 inches prop to pad, which would mean I'd need to bring my jackplate all the way up to achieve this. However when I would bump the jack plate up, even slightly, from the 3.5 position (on dial) the steering would become noticeably stiff and hard to turn... this doesn't seem normal or safe if the boat begins to walk and I need to make inputs to keep it on pad.

Is this a trimming issue? or normal?
    what hole is your motor mounted in?

2Nd from the top of the motor bracket with your plate, spacers, and prop 2.25-3.25 will be your sweet spot with anything from almost empty to full gas, wells, and 2 guys tournament ready.
    9.1-9.6 on the trim if your prop is in good shape. Over trimming and raising plate too high will slow you down a bit and make it a lot harder to drive.

5. Member
    My motor is mounted second from the top mounting hole. Prop seems to be in great shape, hardly even a scratch on it.

By 2.25-3.25 you do mean actual prop to pad, not on my bobs gauge right? I don’t know how accurate the gauge really is.

Bear with me, but by 9.1-9.6 trim what does that mean? I have an analog trim gauge. So far I have just been paying attention to my rooster tail in relation to the height of my cowling.

Thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 22G View Post
    My motor is mounted second from the top mounting hole. Prop seems to be in great shape, hardly even a scratch on it.

By 2.25-3.25 you do mean actual prop to pad, not on my bobs gauge right? I don’t know how accurate the gauge really is.

Bear with me, but by 9.1-9.6 trim what does that mean? I have an analog trim gauge. So far I have just been paying attention to my rooster tail in relation to the height of my cowling.

Thanks
    2.25-3.25 on the Bob's

9.1-9.6 is on Mercury digital trim

rooster tail even with cowl 1-1.5 boat lengths behind you