Camping Etiquette

It seems more and more that campgrounds are consistently full which often times means close neighbors. This last weekend we experienced people allowing their dogs to run free through our campsite with no leash, music being played loud well past quiet hours and people walking through our site as a shortcut to wherever they were going.
    I know the park officials can't police everything. With your experiences, how do you handle these kinds of situations?
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

You can either ask them nicely or report them to the park office. You are right about being full we tried to get a campsite in Virginia Beach for this summer and everything was full already.

3. Member
    I hate when that crap happens. We camped once when our 2 kids were still of napping age and a teenager decided to cut through our site while we were sitting at the pic-nic table. He frickin tripped on our tent guy ropes......lucky for the kid he didn't wake the two sleeping kids.
    2019 Nitro Z19 Sport with 150 Four stroke
    Swinging bass in the front
    and wake boards and tubes off the back

4. Member
    True story: Yesterday I was fishing around a GA state park campground at about 730 and some guy pulled out a leaf blower and started blowing off his campsite. He had neighbors on both sides.

5. Member
    Lump Camping Etiquette onto the burn pile with Business Ethics

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CSS View Post
    True story: Yesterday I was fishing around a GA state park campground at about 730 and some guy pulled out a leaf blower and started blowing off his campsite. He had neighbors on both sides.
    I saw the same thing at an IN state park just this past weekend. I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish. All he created was a huge dust cloud. Been camping now for 50+ yrs; things have certainly changed.
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

7. Member
    Another example of stupid people doing stupid things. See it every day.

8. Member
    Since the Pandemic started, we usually camp during the week, or boondock it. We just got back from camping this week. We pulled in as everyone was leaving on Monday, pulled out as people were pulling in for this weekend. Had the campground pretty much to ourselves during the week. Hopefully things will get back to normal next year.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drothgeb View Post
    Since the Pandemic started, we usually camp during the week, or boondock it. We just got back from camping this week. We pulled in as everyone was leaving on Monday, pulled out as people were pulling in for this weekend. Had the campground pretty much to ourselves during the week. Hopefully things will get back to normal next year.
    I kept a camper on a seasonal site at Kentucky Lake for years. Never moved it. After I retired, I followed the same strategy...worked great for fishing and camping. When the crowds and yappy dogs started pouring in, I was getting out.

Poor camping etiquette , has been happening for years , it didn't just start this year , we have been camping for over 45 years , and have seen the decline over the last few years in respect , and courtesy for other campers .

2009 ELITE 210

11. Member
    Just bought a new slide in popup Jayco truck camper and Skeeter was about 1 year old, maiden voyage. Beached the boat at the foot of the campsite, next morning walked down to the boat and another camper's 2 dog were sleeping in the boat. They must of jumped in and out of it all night long. There was mud and sand plus scratched the sides on the inside. Corp of Engineers campsite, contacted the manager, when he came at looked at he blew his top. Nothing he could do except ask the owner of dogs to leave and wanted me to press charges. Figured it would be more trouble than it was worth. Didn't get an apology or even offer to help clean up the mess.

12. Member
    Usually just camp during the October thru April period. Can’t stand the crowds in the other months.
    2015 Bullet 21XRS, 2021 250 Pro XS 4s - 3B014359

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blazer202 View Post
    Usually just camp during the October thru April period. Can’t stand the crowds in the other months.
    I think that's a viable alternative. We just haven't come up with a good game plan yet to deal with the colder temps and prevent/avoid line freezing here in Indiana.
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    I saw the same thing at an IN state park just this past weekend. I'm not sure what he was trying to accomplish. All he created was a huge dust cloud. Been camping now for 50+ yrs; things have certainly changed.
    Had this happen a couple of times at Newton-Stewart this past few weeks. Guess they never heard of a broom? Surpisingly though, the campground wasn't overly crowded although I'm sure it's packed over the 4th....