question with smartcraft rigging of 250xs

I am in the middle of a repower to a 2008 250xs, using an 8 pin harness with the mercury adapter to convert to 14pin. I currently have analog gauges and am trying to find the best way to replace the two gauges that aren't compatible with the new motor. The two gauges are water pressure and a multi light warning lamp. I read in another post about getting an sc1000, which seems to be the easiest way to get both of what i'm trying to get. My question is I was planning on switching out my gauges in the future to a flush mount garmin/simrad, which I assume would mean I would have to buy the actual 14 pin harness, i'm trying to see if it would just make sense to jump right to the flush mount now or just spend the 300 on the sc1000 and call it a day.

Thanks!

SN 1E002892
    Last edited by blakes52; 05-24-2021 at 01:24 PM. Reason: SN

2. Member
    youd always be able to recoup some money back on the 1000
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

What SC1000 for $300? There are lots of Smartcraft options these days so check out the link and talk to Rhonda via email about budget and options. You may need to swap a sensor but she will know all that too. The newer options give plain language alarms not just symbols. It helps tremendously with troubleshooting.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    it was a system monitor

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DON'T waste your money on one of those. Antiquated technology that came out in 2000.

If you're looking at the Garmin option, I would recommend you get with Rhonda (see her post, pinned at the top of the Forum) and consider the Smartcraft Connect option that would play nicely with your Garmin.

Be aware: Your 8-pin harness cannot (and will not) be able to carry Smartcraft data. You would either run a new 10-pin OR one (1) 14-pin keyswitch harness.

Smartcraft Connect does have another option aside from those listed above- since it's a bit more customized than other systems, let's get the email info for you (first).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks Don. I sent a message over to parts email a little bit ago this morning. So based on what you are saying I will be able to keep my current 8 pin and have a separate 10 pin and have full smartcraft features? I just want to be sure I'm not limiting myself for future changes because if that's the case I will just grab a new 14pin harness
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 05-24-2021 at 02:34 PM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Either way will achieve what you can use for this engine model. Parts Department is where your email was needed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    after doing more research im leaning towards a simrad go5 setup with vesselview link. My question is what is the real difference of a vesselview 502 and a simrad go5 they seem pretty close in price so is it just that mercury brands theirs as "vesselview" or is it really that much more limited?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I believe we may have discussed this in depth by email already... but just in case, they both use essentially the same display SCREEN.

One contains the Simrad Go5 programming, whereas the other is simply a NMEA-2000 display/Screen. Either requires the Vessel View LINK (the 503 includes the Link but not the Go5... the Go5 includes the Simrad features and hardware, but not the Link).

Ie: One is a graph, one is a Smartcraft Display. They just happen to be able to interract with each other and share screens if you have BOTH on the same NMEA-2000 network.