Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ken Smith boat search

I was a little surprised that Ken took Caymas off his list because he was afraid Earl would sell the company like the others that he started, if i am not mistaken Bass Cat has been sold, anyway I thought that was a lame excuse, especially how high he had the Caymas graded, but like he said, this was his choice for his boat, not anyone else's. He also indicated that the Caymas was not a fast boat like BC and Triton, I thought it would be much like a Triton since Earl designed it, Ken made it out to run like a Ranger. I am trying to become a Caymas owner but the dealer cannot get a 300R anytime soon, this board needs more participation, I am assuming it is because Caymas is a very young company and there are just not a lot of them out there yet, hopefully that will change soon.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I was a little surprised that Ken took Caymas off his list because he was afraid Earl would sell the company like the others that he started, if i am not mistaken Bass Cat has been sold, anyway I thought that was a lame excuse, especially how high he had the Caymas graded, but like he said, this was his choice for his boat, not anyone else's. He also indicated that the Caymas was not a fast boat like BC and Triton, I thought it would be much like a Triton since Earl designed it, Ken made it out to run like a Ranger. I am trying to become a Caymas owner but the dealer cannot get a 300R anytime soon, this board needs more participation, I am assuming it is because Caymas is a very young company and there are just not a lot of them out there yet, hopefully that will change soon.
    I respect Kens decision and there aren't any bad or slow bass boats out there in recent years anytime you give up one thing you lose another ex: speed / stability at rest etc I believe that anyone can run what they choose to run and we all should be glad that we are able to enjoy the sport of bass fishing. with that being said I went from Champion to Triton to Ranger and I loved each and every boat I had and was blessed to be able to afford them and at my age I'm slowing down anyways and just love to fish period so heres to Kens new Basscat Lynx and your new Caymas with a 300R and Rick pierce cheers.

I am sure he got a very good deal.

4. Member
    Let me make it clear, I was not bashing Ken or any boat, just thought his reason for eliminating Caymas was weak, he almost sounded like he did not care for Earl because he sold all of his companies, I bet Ken would sell his business if the price were right. Anyway he makes some good videos, have watched many of them, he has the talent to have his own TV show imo.

5. Member
    I attempted to watch a video or 2 --too long imo ; secondly-- idk who he is and what makes him such an authority of bass boats; lastly-- some shenanigans opined on the main board that he may have gotten his lynx before his series completed so in sum--who really cares what this guy thinks ? Ive had most big name brand boats and am happy with caymas. No bitterness here as I frankly dont care-- in fact i care so little -dont know why i m typing now

6. Member
    I really enjoyed the series. I consider BC the best in class for service / ownership. They have been around a long time and Rick is still running it. It is very cool that we have so many choices!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    I am sure he got a very good deal.
    To be honest his concerns about Earl selling the business are completely valid and ones I share and has given me pause (along with all the trailer issues), I will still be ordering a Caymas CX20 in Nov/Dec but look at Earl's track record with boat companies and look what happens to those companies once he is gone ... in my opinion that's a concern if you plan to have your boat for more than just a year or two. If you wan to just be a fan that's great but I like to look at the good and bad of each decision especially when it's a $80,000+ decision.

8. Member
    I understand his misgivings with Earl Bentz being the owner if he plans to own this boat for a long time (does not seem like he usually does). Caymas seems to be a great boat I have a friend that just got one this year and it looks great and he is a lot more impressed with it then the vexus he has in Florida. I like the Caymas a lot and it will be on my short list for my next boat since my favorite dealer now carries them. Earl is a good boat builder and smart business man but who is going to be in charge of Caymas in 10 years is a huge???????
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

9. Member
    Would not surprise me if down the road Caymas boats is employee owned. As far as Earl selling out, really does not bother me as long as I got a great boat, I usually buy a new one every two to three years anyway, I like to stay under warranty.

10. Member
    Would not surprise me if down the road Caymas boats is employee owned. As far as Earl selling out, really does not bother me as long as I got a great boat, I usually buy a new one every two to three years anyway, I like to stay under warranty.
    This makes way more sense if you know Earl personally, he thinks a lot of his employees, he can go threw that plant and call each by name and most of the time call their spouses by name. Hes the same age as me and i really believe this is his last run at boat building. I believe he may hold on to it for many years to come and in the end as happykamper suggested employees may take over. I have known the man since the Hydra Sports days, he has always made good money but he has also been surrounded by top notch business associates. Several of these guys working for him now started in the Stratos, Triton days and all are very sharp business men, just my two sense.

11. Member
    Not sure how I ended up here on the Caymas board, but I know Ken very well. I bought his last boat, and have bee on several of his videos. All I can say is that Ken tells it like it is, and I think his concern with EB’s ‘build it-sell it’ history was sincere. Ken is involved in corperate finance and also has to go with his experiences. I was surprised in the decision he made, and rest assured, he didn’t make any friends with his video series. But, he told it like he saw it. Personally, I don’t think he gave the Ranger Z520L a fair look. I know he could have gotten a better ‘deal’ on a boat if that were his only criterion. We’ve both had ‘missing the old girlfriend’ moments, but I think he really likes his cat.
    Bryan O' Z521-250ProXS V8
    Total Recreation Products Inc.
    Commercial Park and Playground Equipment
    totalrecreation.net

12. Member
    I had a 2005 Triton, one of the last "Earl" Tritons before he sold to Brunswick. It was a great boat. I am now 67 and have a 2016 BassCat Puma. I would like to purchase one more new boat. I would prefer a BassCat, but, in my mind, they are pricing themselves out of the business. Nothing wrong with profit, but it can go to excess. I paid $60,000 for my Puma when new. To replace it now is mid to upper $70,000. My local dealer, and a friend, sells Caymus, but I am concerned as well about the future ownership and support for the product. I will probably give them a more serious look when I'm ready to buy again.

I enjoyed Ken's videos. He put a lot of work into them. His BassCat came from Ross Marine, the largest BassCat dealer in the US. I doubt he got much more of a deal than the rest of us could there.
    Last edited by printman71; 07-20-2021 at 09:31 AM.

13. Member
    I do not know Earl Bentz personally, but I just bought a Caymas CX 21 PRO 3 weeks ago. After owning 3 Champions and the last one for 15 years I was looking for a boat for the next 15 years. I was disappointed when Champion went out of business but understood it was a business decision even though I didn’t like it. So far I love my new boat and certainly feel I made the best decision for me. My choices came down to Phoenix and the Caymas. I did consider that Phoenix was a longer established company, but at the end of the day I felt like the Caymas was the right fit.

Personally I like Basscat, Falcon, Phoenix, Ranger and Caymas and would be proud to be seen in any one of them. They are all top dollar, great rides. If Earl doesn’t own Caymas in 5 years... oh well.

For what it’s worth, I love my Caymas trailer too. No issues loading the boat either... maybe it loads like my old Champion!��

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xstreamjf View Post
    I do not know Earl Bentz personally, but I just bought a Caymas CX 21 PRO 3 weeks ago. After owning 3 Champions and the last one for 15 years I was looking for a boat for the next 15 years. I was disappointed when Champion went out of business but understood it was a business decision even though I didn’t like it. So far I love my new boat and certainly feel I made the best decision for me. My choices came down to Phoenix and the Caymas. I did consider that Phoenix was a longer established company, but at the end of the day I felt like the Caymas was the right fit.

Personally I like Basscat, Falcon, Phoenix, Ranger and Caymas and would be proud to be seen in any one of them. They are all top dollar, great rides. If Earl doesn’t own Caymas in 5 years... oh well.

For what it’s worth, I love my Caymas trailer too. No issues loading the boat either... maybe it loads like my old Champion!��
    I do not know who owns Phoenix but I doubt they been building boats longer than Earl. I do like the Phoenix boats but I have been an Earl fan for quite awhile.

15. Member
    I do not know who owns Phoenix but I doubt they been building boats longer than Earl. I do like the Phoenix boats but I have been an Earl fan for quite awhile.
    Gary Clouse owns Phoenix, he worked for Earl for several years when Earl owned Stratos!!Gary eventually became President of Stratos a few years after Earl sold Stratos!!

16. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Ken Smith was looking for the boat for "him". I don't get why people are getting their panties in wad over a guy on Youtube has to say about anything. Reviews are based off of personal opinions. Hell, if any owners should be mad about one of his reviews it should be the Allison guys. Wow he didn't know dick about that boat and made some stupid statements. Buy what you like and be happy.

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Ken Smith was looking for the boat for "him". I don't get why people are getting their panties in wad over a guy on Youtube has to say about anything. Reviews are based off of personal opinions. Hell, if any owners should be mad about one of his reviews it should be the Allison guys. Wow he didn't know dick about that boat and made some stupid statements. Buy what you like and be happy.
    The whole point of his exercise

18. Banned
    Old thread but still a stinger, I could understand where Ken is coming from on the Caymas but I think Earl is in this one for a longer haul. Also if Ken thinks the Caymas is slow hes full of it, most havent seen true numbers out of these boats when 100% dialed in and with that being said they sure as heck aren't getting ran down by a BC or Triton. As far as a Full Blown Tournament boat goes the Caymas is far superior than the Triton and Bass Cat. An all around package boat that is built for the Tournament Angler.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bentzboatwhisperer View Post
    Old thread but still a stinger, I could understand where Ken is coming from on the Caymas but I think Earl is in this one for a longer haul. Also if Ken thinks the Caymas is slow hes full of it, most havent seen true numbers out of these boats when 100% dialed in and with that being said they sure as heck aren't getting ran down by a BC or Triton. As far as a Full Blown Tournament boat goes the Caymas is far superior than the Triton and Bass Cat. An all around package boat that is built for the Tournament Angler.
    OK fanboy

20. Member
    I watched the Caymas episode with Ken, the owner didn’t even know how to operate some of the stuff like the fresh water pickup etc. he wasn’t going to be able to drive it either.. I’m on my third Cx21, owned them all through the years and I don’t plan on being in any other brand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast