Alternative thread epoxy?

Just replaced some guides and realized my epoxy is bad, 12 hrs later and gooey. Any run to the hardware/craft store products do the job? If this is a dumb question. Let me have it, I can take it. Thanks

2. Member
    What brand of epoxy did you use?

Prokote stays tacky for a very long time but I find it easier to apply than thread master high build. Also seems to finish more uniform than thread master.

if it’s gooey then I’d say the hardener:resin ratio wasn’t correct. But to answer your question you could use nail polish finish to coat the threads but it won’t be nearly as effective as epoxy
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Yep. Guessing I made a bad batch. Been indoors for a couple of years. Never froze. Should be ok?

4. Member
    The two most common problems are bad measuring an not enough mixing, the swirls from both parts need to be gone.

5. Member
    I would apply a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun. Sometimes that will trigger the catalytic reaction.

6. Member
    Thanks all for some direction

7. Goby King
    Epoxy really has no shelf life. The hardener will yellow and the resin will crystallize. Nothing can be done about the hardener, but the resin can be reliquified by a couple 5 second blasts in the microwave (remove the lid) or by placing the bottle in some hot water.

Chances are your ratio was off or mixing was inadequate.

8. Goby King
    If you're looking for a hobby store alternative, Envirotex and Envirotex Lite will be just fine. At least one rod finish on the market is repackaged Envirotex.