Exclamation I think i spotted silver/bighead carp @ summit lake

Saw a school of maybe 8-10 swimming under my boat today near the 2 small islands. But i am not really sure and didn't have my go pro to stick it underwater.

They were silver-ish with a short dorsal fin, 2 short pectoral fins on each side and a somewhat short anal fin. All the fins were of dark color. The tail a distinguished V shape also dark color. Fish also have this sort of "line" running alongside his body kinda like a largemouth but at the same time completely different.
    About 15 to 25 inches long and looks like they could weight from 2.5 to 5 pounds each. Those fish could swim REALLY fast during short bursts and seemed to swim together mostly.

Anyone else seen them? Or am i seeing a different species of fish? I know for a fact those were not common carp, but i never really seen a grass carp.

2. Member
    You need to notify the DNR, Monday morning!

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Hope those weren't bighead carp. As fast as they reproduce, they will destroy that lake quickly.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I wouldn’t think they’d be a threat there since they need a flowing river to reproduce.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    The real problem with the spread of Asian Carp is if a bait shop is buying minnows to sell off a local person that is seining them to make a buck. I have one bait shop near me on East Fork of the White River that sells minnows seined locally. It’s my understanding the Asian carp minnows are hard to distinguish as what is what type…and if used and they survive being fished with in our lakes,,you will get a spread in a lake that has no feeder streams. I have talked to various DNR people about this,,and they don’t seem to take a interest in this. Time will tell however. My uncle put sterilized grass carp in a 4 acre lake in 1973 and they are huge and still alive. They have outlived him.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    Hope those weren't bighead carp. As fast as they reproduce, they will destroy that lake quickly.
    Summit already has Zebra Mussels, Asian Carp are one more thing that lake doesn't need.
    Last edited by BackLash625; 05-24-2021 at 12:12 PM.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

7. Member
    Depending on the temperate zone you live in, Asian carp can spawn many times per year. If they get into our land locked lakes,,,fishing as we know it,,will become drastically changed forever. It’s damned hard now to fish our rivers.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    Depending on the temperate zone you live in, Asian carp can spawn many times per year. If they get into our land locked lakes,,,fishing as we know it,,will become drastically changed forever. It’s damned hard now to fish our rivers.
    They don’t spawn in lakes or even reservoirs. Pretty well the only hope of controlling them on big reservoirs is blocking them at locks.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    I was fishing Maxinkuckee on Sunday. The common carp are spawning right now and will be for about the next week. We saw several groups of huge carp swimming shallow together in very tight groups. It is likely that you were seeing the same thing. At least, I hope this is what you were seeing.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoos202 View Post
    I was fishing Maxinkuckee on Sunday. The common carp are spawning right now and will be for about the next week. We saw several groups of huge carp swimming shallow together in very tight groups. It is likely that you were seeing the same thing. At least, I hope this is what you were seeing.
    I’m not sure what it would be with a lateral line similar to a largemouth. None of the Asian native carp have one, nor do Buffalo or Drum.
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoos202 View Post
    Yes i saw plenty of common carp as well. There was huge groups of them trashing in the banks mudding up the water big time and also swimming shallow but ones i saw didn't have the huge scales like common carp do. They have this line on the side of their body that looks almost like a "scar" type thing and the sharp V shaped tail.