Pop up canvas age expectancy?

The wife has been talking about getting a camper for a while now and we have looked at a few pop up type of set ups. My folks had 2 when we were kids. They were pretty junky and we had to keep tarps to tie up over the beds when it rained because the canvas was old and leaked. I would say they were around 10 years old. This was 20 years ago or so. Are they made any better now days? Do the canvas hold up better?

2. Banned
    The average life of canvas on a Pop-Up Camper is around 15-20 years. However, life expectancy will vary on how well the canvas is maintained and stored. If regularly clean, stored dry undercover and in a clean environment the canvas will last for many years longer, 20 years plus. According to the link below

​https://www.iwentcamping.com/how-lon...20years%20plus.

Thanks for the link, I will have to read it later today.

4. Member
    Never owned one but borrowed friends for a couple 2 week stays...The ++ pull like ain't there...enough room and comfort in small pac. The --In wind and rain/Lightning they spooky...and in RV campsite if ya got noisy neighbors (they sound like they in camper with YA)....heating OK/ AC sux unless its blown directly on you...I think my guess uneducated 20y is pipe dream

5. Member
    Like stated, storage out of elements is the key.

When stored outside, roof leaks are going to occur. This leads to deterioration of the canvas and canvas attachment joints.

The roof lifting system is also a failure point. Cables, pulleys, and crank will bind and fail at different points. All of this is buried under benches, cabinets, and places with limited space.

If you purchased a used unit, wait to find one stored out of the elements.

I think we have decided to go with a regular camper with no slides or fold out to prevent some of those issues. But it will be a few years before we are in a place to afford one.

7. Member
    Over the last 43 years we have owned several pop up campers. And loved them, as long as you don’t store the canvas wet. If you have to put it down to travel wet, pop it up at home and allow it to dry out. The canvas’s used these days will last as long as the camper it self.
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

8. Member
    We did a trip in one we bought in 2006. Over 6000 miles and 17 states we were back home and loved it. Things change and couldn’t store it anymore so we sold it. If I remember we got these coverings for the canvas roofs (called Gizmos) that deflected the Sun or turn them over to insulate the canvas. Our roof mounted A/C had no trouble keeping us cool even in 104 degree heat while camping at Zion National Park. Biggest complaint is you hear your neighbors around the campfire like they are right in your camper.