RT livewell timer -- no timed aeration

RT188 with timer shown below. Pump runs continuously on both settings. I ordered a new one (~$65) from Ranger (slow process!). What else could it be, right? Well, I turned it on in the driveway after installing it and it still runs continuously when on auto. Anybody else have that problem?
    IMG_4685.JPG

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I've not heard of anyone else having that issue but it does sound like a bad part. At least you got ahold of Ranger and a part is on the way. I called Ranger to get the specs on the leaf springs on my trailer and was told I get a return call the next day. 18 days later I received a call from Ranger parts but the person was unable to provide me the info so she transferred me to a trailer engineer who she knew would know the answer. And then the call was dropped. I could have happened due to the cellular carrier and anyway, I changed both springs the day after they broke.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I've not heard of anyone else having that issue but it does sound like a bad part. At least you got ahold of Ranger and a part is on the way. I called Ranger to get the specs on the leaf springs on my trailer and was told I get a return call the next day. 18 days later I received a call from Ranger parts but the person was unable to provide me the info so she transferred me to a trailer engineer who she knew would know the answer. And then the call was dropped. I could have happened due to the cellular carrier and anyway, I changed both springs the day after they broke.
    I had to leave a message with what seemed to be an answering service and then somebody from Ranger parts called me back about 10 or 12 days later. One I got it ordered, it arrived quickly BUT it still is doing the same thing so I'm back to square one.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverZX View Post
    RT188 with timer shown below. Pump runs continuously on both settings. I ordered a new one (~$65) from Ranger (slow process!). What else could it be, right? Well, I turned it on in the driveway after installing it and it still runs continuously when on auto. Anybody else have that problem?
    IMG_4685.JPG
    Mine was like that brand new from the factory
    Dealer repalce the part .

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I had to leave a message with what seemed to be an answering service and then somebody from Ranger parts called me back about 10 or 12 days later. One I got it ordered, it arrived quickly BUT it still is doing the same thing so I'm back to square one.
    That is just bizarre. Hard to believe you could have such bad luck as to have two defective timer/switches. I'm stumped.

6. Member
    I wonder whether the wiring in the piece you plug into the timer is shorted, so that the timed wire is touching the on wire, giving you a permanent live when it's switched on? Worth checking the wiring all the way to the pump.

7. Member
    It happened to me to the dealer put a new one in and still wouldn't shut off. They said they would have to bring it back and have them take apart all the wiring to see what the problem was. I never did, didn't trust them not to screw it up.

8. Member
    Could be the switch is bad

It could be the switch, but it’s a long shot.
    In order to isolate the problem, we can check for presence of voltage at the pins on the back of the switch.
    The most convenient way to do this is connecting a set of jumpers to the pins 3 and 6 on the back of the switch and the ground side of a test light hooked to the ground bus under the dash. The red cable is clipped to pin 6 and the black one to pin 3.
    Pin6 supplies power to the timing module when the switch is in auto position. Connect the red jumper to the test light and set the switch to manual, and then auto. If there is power ONLY in auto, that part of the switch is working correctly.
    Now attach the black jumper to the test light and set the switch to auto, the tester should light up for a few minutes (1 to 5 or so, not sure ) or so and the pump will be operating and then shut off.
    if it does not shut off, the timer is bad. If the timer shuts off but the pump continues to run, the switch is bad.

Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 05-24-2021 at 12:58 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    Wow would be great to have Ranger to address an issue in 3 weeks .... Going on Week 4 with paint issue zero response!

11. Member
    Thank you Bill for the detailed explanation of checking the switch. Can you provide a little more "how to" on the black wire part? I did the red jumper and the test light only lights when in auto. So that seemed fine. Not sure I've got things hooked up correctly for checking pin 3. When I connect pin 3 to the test light and put the switch on auto, no light or pump. On manual, the pump runs but the light doesn't light.

EDIT: Next I left the red lead connected to pin 6/light and added black lead connected to pin 3/light. I let it run for over 5 minutes. Light was on the entire time as was the pump. Again, this is a NEW timer just received from Ranger.
    Last edited by RiverZX; 06-02-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Thank you Bill for the detailed explanation of checking the switch. Can you provide a little more "how to" on the black wire part? I did the red jumper and the test light only lights when in auto. ​​(OK)So that seemed fine. Not sure I've got things hooked up correctly for checking pin 3. When I connect pin 3 to the test light and put the switch on auto, no light or pump. ​​(? Should light and pump should run ) On manual, the pump runs but the light doesn't light.​​(OK)

EDIT: Next I left the red lead connected to pin 6/light and added black lead connected to pin 3/light. I let it run for over 5 minutes. Light was on the entire time as was the pump. Again, this is a NEW timer just received from Ranger.
    The logic is that we are checking for presence of voltage to ground at the pin outs on the switch. We have the test light connected to the ground bus so by touching either of the jumpers to the test light it tells us if voltage is present on the switch pin to which the jumper is attached.
    Pin 6 supplies voltage to the timer module when the switch Is in automatic.
    Pin 3 is the return wire from the timer module and supplies power to the pump when the timer is on.
    In proper operation, with pin 3 jumper attached to the test light, the test light should turn off and on as the timer module cycles and you should hear the pump running.
    From your description, it sounds like a bad module but sure is a rare coincidence.
    one other test: Disconnect the orange wire from pin 3 and attach the jumper directly to it. With the other end of the jumper on the test light, place the switch into auto mode. If the module is ok the test light should come off and on as it cycles. If the light stays on or does not light, the module is bad for sure.
    this test is to be sure we are not getting power to pin 3 from a short inside the switch when it is on automatic.

13. Member
    Jumper on pin three with other end on test light, switch on auto, light stays on continuously.

Jumper on pin three with other end on test light, switch on auto, light stays on continuously.
    If the orange wire is disconnected from pin 3 and the jumper is attached to the wire, there is no doubt. Bad timer.

15. Member
    Oh goodie. I get to call Ranger again.

Thanks for the help!

16. Member
    UPDATE: I couldn't believe I would have received a new bad timer from Ranger so I went out and messed around a little more. Miracle of miracles, it works now. Must have been a bad connection that got reseated? Maybe in the 3-pin triangular Deutsch connector? Anyway, runs 2 min on, 3 min off. Thanks again all for the suggestions, especially Bill. My son is using this boat in some college tournaments, so that will be a plus to have the timer working.

UPDATE: I couldn't believe I would have received a new bad timer from Ranger so I went out and messed around a little more. Miracle of miracles, it works now. Must have been a bad connection that got reseated? Maybe in the 3-pin triangular Deutsch connector? Anyway, runs 2 min on, 3 min off. Thanks again all for the suggestions, especially Bill. My son is using this boat in some college tournaments, so that will be a plus to have the timer working.
    Glad that worked out, I too had a hard time believing the new timer was the problem, so I kept trying to isolate it from the switch.
    I was concerned that I was giving you too much information and creating confusion, Glad you didn’t run out of patience.