Thread: Trailer Coupler

Trailer Coupler

HI guys,
    It seems that when I am trailering the boat, like stopping for traffic and starting at a red light, I am feeling the trailer push against the truck. Not sure if that makes sense or not.. I have a 99 dual axle tandem trailer. I dont think that the brakes work and have not since I bought the boat about 15 years ago. I do grease the ball before every trip out. It just does not feel like it normally had in the past when trailering. Has anyone replaced the coupler before or the accuator? IF so what parts or from what company? thanks

2. Member
    Put new loaded baking plates on, flush your brake system and fill with new fluid then bleed them. Adjust brakes accordingly. If that doesn’t solve your issue then look to replace the actuator. My guess is the actuator is moving and due to no shoes left and pistons at their max, you are feeling the actuator slop. Can’t believe you went 15yrs without fixing the brakes, they’re there for a reason man.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

I have a 2000 EZ Loader Trailer with Surge Braking System. Replaced the Actuator a few times. Extremely easy. Two large pins and disconnect brake line. I also changed out my drum brakes to disc brakes. Big difference. Just have to swap to rotors. And it does take a different actuator. Bleed the brake lines completely with a vacuum gun. Should do that yearly. Any questions email me. I also have the slide in detachable tongue, I had to have that extended and reinforced. I started to notice the weld cracking on the tongue insert so a buddy extended it and reinforced it.
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    2024 Mercury 250L Pro XS SN# 3B431534
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

4. Member
    Hello, was wondering if you replaced the whole actuator or just the master cylinder, mine has a small leak and need to replace it too?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEFISHRI View Post
    HI guys,
    It seems that when I am trailering the boat, like stopping for traffic and starting at a red light, I am feeling the trailer push against the truck. Not sure if that makes sense or not.. I have a 99 dual axle tandem trailer. I dont think that the brakes work and have not since I bought the boat about 15 years ago. I do grease the ball before every trip out. It just does not feel like it normally had in the past when trailering. Has anyone replaced the coupler before or the accuator? IF so what parts or from what company? thanks
    Mike,
    This sounds like the situation I had, which was a bad actuator. Problem is that the shoes spreaders may have gotten moisture like mine and rusted solid, which I did end up doing a full brake system rebuilt. Unless you are an experience mechanic, it is a very technical job, and the parts are not cheap. They do sell back plates already loaded with shoes and spreaders, so you would just remove that 4 bolts connection it to the axle to replace the entire assembly.
    If all of this seems like a big job to you, it is time to take it to a trailer dealer for full rebuild of brake system.