Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If it makes you feel good------------- spend the money..
    Think I'll just use that ole free air. Worked good for a LONG time.

2. Member
    My travel trailer came with Nitrogen filled tires. Still gains 8-10 psi when they warm up

3. Member
    Good info here, never too old to learn
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    So the consensus is to do it... put nitrogen in your tires?

I have always heard commercial, high flying planes use nitrogen to fill there tires.

If its good enough for a 747 why no my F250.
    From what I’ve read, it’s because a 747 may be flying for hours at high altitude and very cold temperatures and then relatively quickly descend onto a runway in, let’s say Las Vegas at 110 degrees.

For car dealerships, it’s the undercoating and paint sealant of the new age.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    From what I’ve read, it’s because a 747 may be flying for hours at high altitude and very cold temperatures and then relatively quickly descend onto a runway in, let’s say Las Vegas at 110 degrees.

For car dealerships, it’s the undercoating and paint sealant of the new age.
    That premise does not make sense. What has nitrogen got to do with the altitude or how quickly they descend. The truth is that nitrogen is used due to the pressures that jet aircraft tires use. The typical air compressor may pump 125 to maybe 140 PSI. Jet aircraft and many turbo prop use tire pressure well above that, many in the 180-220 PSI. Thus air compressor will not work. Regulated nitrogen bottles is the gas of choice, cheap, non flammable, and inert.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I would like to add that on landing, tire temp will also go north of 400 deg. And acft tire pressures are at 300+ psi.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Hey! I read it on the internet…it has to be true.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    I would like to add that on landing, tire temp will also go north of 400 deg. And acft tire pressures are at 300+ psi.
    A little research will show the typical cold pressure is approx 200 PSI. This can vary a little by particular model.
    Brake temp can go to 400 deg but tires will not reach that temperature. Tires would blow out the fuse plug in the wheel way before 400 deg.

9. Member
    It’s the part about being “dry” that makes the difference.

10. Member
    I have still have a nitrogen bottle from my racing days, when 1/10 of a second could be five positions in qualifying.
    Totally irrelevant for street use. Just another profit gimmick like the other dealer BS.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs

11. Member
    This is my field. Cryogenic liquids and gases.
    Nitrogen is roughly 73% of the air you breath. Depending on time of year and conditions Oxygen is roughly 20% of the air you breath. Other gases make up the balance. Argon, helium, hydrogen, etc.

Nitrogen is extracted from atmospheric air by taking that air and compressing it. This takes A LOT of electricity. That compressed air is then realeased up a column or stack under pressure also. The compressed air then begins to CONDENSATE ( liquify). Nitrogen being the lightest of usable atmospheric air condensates first. That liquid is the extracted and stored in liquid form. The tanks are basically large thermos’s.
    This is done because it’s easier to transport in this form. At a liquid state Nitrogen is about -263 degrees and 99.9998% pure nitrogen. Which is a medical grade product regulated by the FDA. The liquid is transported to a customer station or transfer station. From there it is stored in a liquid form until needed. The stations take the liquid and run it through evaporators. Similar to coils that were on old refrigerators. It then converts back to a gas.
    That gas is still cold but well above 0 degrees.

So your paying for all that process for your tires?.
    It’s overkill for tires.
    It will condensate inside your tires. Faster than just compressed atmosphere air. I also question the longevity. Race cars most likely have specialty tires just for nitrogen use. Your car doesn’t. If it really was of value, then every cryogenic truck on the road would be running nitrogen filled tires. But we are not!

Costco tire center uses nitrogen and there was no listed additional charge for it during my last tires purchase a year and a half ago. I suppose it could be hidden in mounting and balancing but at $19 ea, that seems pretty reasonable. There is also no charge during free rotation if any need topping off. Costco sells a ton of tires, at least locally.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

13. Member
    "Race cars most likely have specialty tires just for nitrogen use".
    No they don't. As I have pointed out above, nitrogen is used strictly for convenience. A quote from one of my previous posts,
    Quote:
    "And by the way, NASCAR and others use nitrogen because it is dry, inert and cheap. They run their impact wrenches off of the nitrogen bottles as well as inflating tires, it is dry, inert and cheap, that is the only reason. There are other inert gases that would work like argon, helium, neon but would be very costly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas. here is a link more in layman's terms. https://powertank.com/pages/nitrogen-truths-and-myths."

And another quote from a post I made:
    Quote:
    The truth is that nitrogen is used due to the pressures that jet aircraft tires use. The typical air compressor may pump 125 to maybe 140 PSI. Jet aircraft and many turbo prop use tire pressure well above that, many in the 180-220 PSI. Thus air compressor will not work. Regulated nitrogen bottles is the gas of choice, cheap, non flammable, and inert.

14. Member
    In a nutshell, dry nitrogen is a little bit better than regular compressed air but, it’s not worth paying for it unless it’s a matter of convenience. But if you do use regular compressed air, it’s a good idea to have a moisture trap inline. H20 is the problem, not 02.

15. Member
    My boat tires seem to loose more air then a car tire. I have no idea why but true across two boats and roughly 20 years.

that said, the car tires I have new from Costco with nitrogen fluctuate less. Where I notice it most is when I leave KY on a 24 degree morning and end up in Florida 14 hours later in 85 degrees and my pressure has changed only about 4 to 6 lbs. I seem to pump the nitrogens at costco only 1 time per year. my other cars I put air in 2 to 3 times annually; or let it out. No idea how this relates to a boat tire.

but to say it is a scam with no difference, I disagree respectfully and with +5 years of personal observation.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12