1984 Champion 184 (Restoration)?

OK, so I have this 1984 Champion 184 V hull Bass Boat. It's been sitting since 2019, with a blown motor. I'll deal with the motor separately. So, basically, I'm into it for free (and it is worth every penny!) The entire interior is scrap or missing. It has the seat frames, and cushions to sit on, and it has the frond pedestal. Carpet is super thin, or worn through. The floor and casting deck seem solid, but it's hard to say what I'll find under the carpet. The transom "looks" ok, but it has a large 1/2" aluminum plate bolted to it, so I'm assuming there's some issues under that. Now onto my questions:

1. Are these boats all fiberglass, or is there wood sandwiched between sheets of glass, like a sailboat deck? I feel no delamination, but don't want to get $2,500.00 into it to find out that I should just go buy another boat.

2. Is the aluminum plate a valid transom repair? The transom doesn't flex at all when the motor is jerked by hand.

2. Member
    Photos would be very helpful.
    I believe that year had a balsa wood transom. Champs had an aluminum angle attached to the top rear edge of the transom strictly as a finishing piece, had no structural purpose. If someone has added another piece of angle to the transom then my guess is the transom has issues. I would not run it until you can confirm the integrity of the transom. Transom can be replaced but it will cost you a few thousand.
    Do a search on the Champion board for transoms, lots of good info there.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

3. Member
    I suspected as much. We used to inject sailboat decks with a bunch of thinned epoxy, when the deck became delaminated. I wouldn't be doing that on a transom for a bass boat. If given enough time, I could rebuild it myself, but that'g getting to the point where it's not worth the effort. I'll check it out once I get the motor off.

Quote Originally Posted by M-D View Post
    Photos would be very helpful.
    I believe that year had a balsa wood transom. Champs had an aluminum angle attached to the top rear edge of the transom strictly as a finishing piece, had no structural purpose. If someone has added another piece of angle to the transom then my guess is the transom has issues. I would not run it until you can confirm the integrity of the transom. Transom can be replaced but it will cost you a few thousand.
    Do a search on the Champion board for transoms, lots of good info there.

No balsa wood in a 1984 Champion. It's a 7 layer kiln dried Douglas Fir laminated with glass/gel/resin. The early Champs did have a aluminum plate option that was a piggyback lift with no offset like today jack plates. Look for coffee brown water stains around the transom bolts or any through hull fittings. If it's there then there is water intrusion and needs to be addressed. Pull ALL through hull fittings/motor bolts and the aluminum plate on top of the transom and poke around with a coat hanger in the holes, if it penetrates the wood core then it's repair time. If it's just wet with no rot you can dry it out under heat lamps for 10 or more days 24/7. Pictures would go a long way. If you have Tim the Tool Man skills a complete resto can be accomplished. If you're wanting to have someone do it for you you're looking at least 5k or more.