Thread: Boat fenders

Boat fenders

Hey all. Im planning on redoing my boat fenders. Someone hit my driver side one and put a scrap into it and i figured i jus redo them being 20 years old.

Before i ask, just know im doing it myself and have a little painting experience, just not with gelcoat

I bought the gelcoat and metalflake from ranger and have two questions.

1) With ranger fenders, my metalflake is silver fox. Is there a black base coat or white with the flake added to clear and then sprayed over it?

Also, how is the white stripe painted? I was thinking maybe the fender was sprayed with white base coat, dried, then taped off, spray the metalflake mixed in clear, dried, tape removed, then coat of clear gelcoat to even it out.

Any thoughts?

Usually with metalflake it's black base, clear with flake and then clear. Last coat of clear, get's wax mixed in with it. Remember that fixing or gel coating now is done opposite from when first built.

3. Member

Like stated everything is done in reverse of the way you see it. The white should not have clear over it...you can prolly fine line the white and mask it and refinish everything else.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Like crank says. If you have damage on the silver and the white. I would fix both and then spray the silver first, masking off the white and then do the white masking off the silver. Do you have damage or is it just dull? If only dull, I have scuffed fenders and just sprayed clear over it and they have looked great and lasted.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....transom+repair

Also look at this link and read a couple of posts down on how to mix and shoot. Very helpful. I used the Duratec products and was very pleased.

7. Member
    One fender was hit and has a small rub to fiberglass. Both are dull with spider cracks in it

The spider cracks “more than likely” go to the glass and will need to be ground out and repaired to keep them from continuing to crack.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com