Thread: 21 XRS opinions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

21 XRS opinions

I know you guys will be biased but I am shopping around for boats at the moment will buy as soon as my current boat sells.

I am interested in a 21xrs and have some questions.

How good is this hull in rough water?

How fast can you comfortable cruise without having to get up on the wheel?

How do you guys like the storage?

I am a champion guy through and through but I don't really like what Charger is doing with the boats. I am between a bass cat and a bullet (would be buying slightly used)

Anyone around Charlotte NC want to let me put gas in there boat and go for a few hour fishing trip hahah

2. Member
    I might be biased as I've owned a bullet since 1997. My first two were both 20xd. My current is a 21SDC. I fish BFL and so far have had 3 co anglers in my boat. After a couple hour of running around I ask how it compares to the other boats they've been in. All 3 have said it was one of if not the best ride they've been in. The last tournament we had 20 plus mph winds. My co was already asking questions about Bullet and the different models as he was in the market for a new boat. At the end of the day he said I sold him on not just a Bullet but a dual console as well.
    1. Rough water. I'd say it handles it very well. I had my first long run in rough water Saturday on Toledo bend. I was very impressed how well it did and how solid the boat felt. 26 minutes run in rough seas and my body felt like a normal day after fishing.
    2. Not sure what your asking but I've had boat up to 75 and it was easy driving. But I've been driving performance hulls for a long time, but will say this one has been the easiest to learn to drive.
    3. Storage. I took out the rod tubes and the tackle rack in the center storage. When I fish the BFL I'm there Monday-Saturday. I take all my rods as I have no clue how I'll be fishing come Saturday. Between the center and passenger lockers I'll have 33-35 rods. I use rod socks and had no issues at all with rod storage and several are 8' rods. Tackle storage is huge. If you run out of tackle storage then I'd say your more into collecting tackle than fishing. I carry enough stuff I could restock a couple tackle stores and have no issues with storage. If you have any more questions and want more detailed answers let me know and I'll pm you my phone number and I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have.
    Kraig

3. Member
    Bought a 2014 XRS a few months ago. Previously had a 20XD that I loved but, a Toyota truck killed it. The XRS is growing on me. Good fishing platform IMO. Drives different than my 20XD. The cockpit is about 10 inches further forward on the XRS as compared to a 21XD. Many consider the XRS to be a little slower than the XD/XRD. I think they may be correct. Running a 300R on mine. As far as driving, mine requires little input up to 60MPH or so. Compared to my 20XD the storage is awesome. I think overall the XRS is a fine example of a Bullet.

4. Member
    I have a friend that has a Ranger, and one that has a Triton, both of them say that my 2016 21RDC rides better and handles rough water better than theirs do

5. Member
    Thanks for the input guys I have been in most major brand boats. Really loved my 188 champ but bullet has my interest in the new boat market.

Sounds like you guys have no complaints.

I may sound biased but it’s proof in the driving, riding and fishing. Most negative stuff you hear is by individuals that never set foot in a Bullet, was irritated before they had a chance to know one or rode with a very bad driver. In the “Roughest riding boats” thread, a couple Bullets were mention, but they were 20’s (20’ 1”) and I believe one 17’ (no wonder). The 21X boats are 21’ 10”. Big difference! I feel like I’m driving a Cadillac on just about any water. Now I haven’t been in 6’ waves but I have been in some good 3- 3.5 footers and never thought much about them. The fishing platform is excellent. Tons of storage and an air craft carrier deck. Cruising in a Cadillac and stretching it out in a Lamborghini! I’ll relax cruising from around 40 or 60-70, I don’t see chine til 76-77. Then, that’s when you eventually learn to drive it. You won’t go wrong with any 21 Bullet.
    Last edited by WVBullet; 05-19-2021 at 02:33 PM.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

7. Member
    One down side, once you own a Bullet well, you know.

I came from 206 Champion, previously owned Champion 202 and a 201.
    XRS has WAY more storage, considerably! The ride in my SDC same hull as the XRS is better than my Champ 206.
    Its a kitty cat at 60 70 mph. Above that I would pay attention. 70 mph your only about three quarter throttle. My experience in a champion you always trimmed up a high as it would allow. Not so in my bullet. It kinda just lifts up and runs a little nose flatter.
    you like me was also looking a BassCat. I liked the erya. Until Joe Mobley on Fork let go out in his XRS !!
    Bad rough day with big wind. I knew the bullet would run but wasn’t sure about rough water? I did after that. Had Billy Sartin order me one soon after that. Wish you was closer. We would go out. You won’t be sorry with a Bullet. Cat make a good boat as well. Bullet customer service is good as it gets !

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    One down side, once you own a Bullet well, you know.
    You will NEVER own anything else!!

10. Member
    Tom, Teresa and the gang at Bullet are some of the nicest people you will ever you will come to know, willing to help you with anything or questions you might have, I went on a plant tour with Tom, talked to Teresa for quite awhile went I was there, and got to catch a few Bass with Matt their media guy, also met James, one of the most talented fiberglass techs around, just great people all around!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief206 View Post
    I came from 206 Champion, previously owned Champion 202 and a 201.
    XRS has WAY more storage, considerably! The ride in my SDC same hull as the XRS is better than my Champ 206.
    Its a kitty cat at 60 70 mph. Above that I would pay attention. 70 mph your only about three quarter throttle. My experience in a champion you always trimmed up a high as it would allow. Not so in my bullet. It kinda just lifts up and runs a little nose flatter.
    you like me was also looking a BassCat. I liked the erya. Until Joe Mobley on Fork let go out in his XRS !!
    Bad rough day with big wind. I knew the bullet would run but wasn’t sure about rough water? I did after that. Had Billy Sartin order me one soon after that. Wish you was closer. We would go out. You won’t be sorry with a Bullet. Cat make a good boat as well. Bullet customer service is good as it gets !
    Sounds like I am barking up the right tree. Thanks for the input guys.

What year did bullet go composite?

12. Member
    This is great info. I'm currently running a 20XDC and getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 21SDC, so great timing on the post, confirmed what I thought I already knew...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bwhit162 View Post
    Sounds like I am barking up the right tree. Thanks for the input guys.

What year did bullet go composite?
    I believe 1998

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    I believe 1998
    Not sure exact year, maybe 2012 or so, but WAY later than 1998. My 2009 21RDC was all wood construction. That is not bad because Bullet alway did a great job of total encapsulation.
    ‘17 Bullet 21 SDC ‘20 Merc 300R 1.60 SM 1E081012

15. Member
    Also, Can someone break down to me which hulls I should look at?

I prefer fishability and storage to speed. Looks like the xrs is the more modern of the hulls in that 21 range.

Am I misconstrued thinking the hulls are the same top cap changes? between the three basic size models? Will a xrs handle extremely different from say a xdc. Is there another post detailing this I can find?

16. Member
    Will a xrs handle extremely different from say a xdc.
    Mine handles completely different. My 21xd would corner on a rail, my XRS drops the bow and tries to throw you out if you try to corner anything over about 30mph. I'd put a torquemaster on it if I had the extra funds just to see if it would help.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    Mine handles completely different. My 21xd would corner on a rail, my XRS drops the bow and tries to throw you out if you try to corner anything over about 30mph. I'd put a torquemaster on it if I had the extra funds just to see if it would help.
    Are the rough water rides similar? And are you loaded the same way between the two?

18. Member
    Xd boats are awesome. I’ve been in a lot of 21 foot boats and it’s my favorite. Ride is great but the responsiveness to the wheel and handling is even better. I don’t see how anyone could ride in one and not love it. My fishing partner was all about rangers and skeeters. Now all he talks about is a bullet. Not to mention the looks you will get and all the questions. People love them! Can’t go wrong in my opinion.

ill add to the handling aspect if you fish lakes with lots of floating debris like me bullet is the choice. My lake is a mine field and I can dodge logs at 60mph like nothing.

19. Member
    call Tom and ask him on the All Composite, you can order a Bullet that way if you want

20. Member
    Are the rough water rides similar? And are you loaded the same way between the two?
    Ride is great, XRS fishes a little better than the XD but it is really just storage related.

My XRS has more weight on the front. 36v trolling motor vs 24v on my XD. I'm running a helix 12, garmin 1022 with the live scope box in the starboard rod box, Hbird 360. On the XD I only had a 998 on the front. Just guessing I probably have 20+ more pounds on the nose vs my old boat. Add into that the seats are farther forward in the XRS and I'm running a sportmaster and the bow lift just isn't there. I run very little of anything in the front boxes. 95% of my tackle is in the rear boxes. If I were buying a new XRS it would have a torqumaster on it regardless if I were putting a 300 or not. I'd just limit myself to not going over 85mph and since I'm fishing with a partner 99% of the time I don't think that would be an issue.

I ran into Buddy Gross when he was practicing for the classic this spring and parked right next to him, his boat looks like it sits a foot lower in the front than mine does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast