Prop to pad height

I’m running a Mercury 150 ProXs on a 2021 Vexus 1980 turning a 23p Tempest plus prop and getting 53mph without much bow lift. Right now prop to pad is about 5”. Anyone chime in on the optimal prop to pad height for best overall top speed and performance?

2. Member
    I don't have any experience with PTP on that boat but I can tell you that everybody with a 2080 seems to be talking about a 22 fury for lift and performance. I'll be getting my new 2080 in a couple weeks and I've heard they come with 23 fury from the factory.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Siuebass0 View Post
    I don't have any experience with PTP on that boat but I can tell you that everybody with a 2080 seems to be talking about a 22 fury for lift and performance. I'll be getting my new 2080 in a couple weeks and I've heard they come with 23 fury from the factory.
    Please let us know when you get your boat if you get any lift.
    2019 Vexus AVX 2080
    Evinrude G2 200
    Bobs Hyd. Jackplate, Dual power poles
    Aluminum trailer, polyurea flooring

4. Member
    A lot of information out there on the 2080. I have a 1980 and looking for similar info.

5. Member
    Mine was delivered with a 23" Fury as well. My dealer in business same family since 1962 tells me it is the best performer on the 2080 with ProXS 200.
    I think he is correct.

6. Member
    I have been having bow lift issues and I finally just took my 23 fury in this week to a prop shop and have cup added. Ill report my results when I get a chance to get out. Hopefully this evening if the weather man was wrong or weather gets delayed but I will be out this weekend for sure testing.

7. Member
    Any updates on the bow lift with the added cup on the prop ?

8. Member
    I have a 1880, and raised my 135HO as far up as possible. I got less bow lift and no or minimal speed increase. I dropped it back down this past winter. It seems to run better.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frdtrtnfx4 View Post
    Any updates on the bow lift with the added cup on the prop ?
    Need more testing, I have achieved 52mph with 23P fury cupped prop. Bow lift has been improved a bit however speed has been reduced a bit as I have seen 55MPH a few time without the cup but not many.

I still need more testing because I think if I raise my motor I should be able to get speed and hopefully keep my current bow lift.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith3510 View Post
    Need more testing, I have achieved 52mph with 23P fury cupped prop. Bow lift has been improved a bit however speed has been reduced a bit as I have seen 55MPH a few time without the cup but not many.

I still need more testing because I think if I raise my motor I should be able to get speed and hopefully keep my current bow lift.
    Update: I found out that a cupped prop is still not enough of a difference to eliminate the bow lift issues that the AVX models tend to have. However I recently read of people adding 5 degree wedges to give a better trim angle for the motor, I went through my dealer and discussed that I wanted to try them and see what happens. Ill be happy to note that the bow lift issue with my boat had improved significantly with this add on and anyone that is running the Mercury Pro XS 150 on the 1980 should look into these. You can see them between the jackplate and the motor mount.

I am not going to state that it will increase speed in any way shape or form however reaching your top speeds will be much more consistent. On a choppy day my boat max speed with be greater than a non choppy day due to the way the boat would bounce over the wakes and lift the front end of the boat up, hints the speed increase. When I ran with a partner (even my 70lb son) I would never get proper bow lift and with the wedges I am pleased to say I am getting great bow lift and no longer feels like the boat in plowing water in any water condition.

Note: I have not had these installed for any significant amount of time and my current post reflects ONLY 1 solid day on the water and have much more set up and testing I would like to do before recommending them to people with similar issues, my issue may not be what is going on with your boat and would also recommend that you discuss this option with your dealer first to see if this could possibly solve the issue. This weekend I will be out doing more running and jackplate adjustments and will give my complete update next week sometime with more info and my thoughts. Vexus representatives and my dealer have asked me to give them pictures of actual numbers and my thoughts as I go through the trial of these wedges (Not sure what that means and what actions they will take if any at all after I give them what they are asking for but keep in mind they are listening and trying to make our experience with these machines the best they possibly can.)

I see speed numbers but no RPM numbers. These 4S Mercury's need to run in the upper RPM range if not you will have performance issues. From what I am reading these boats are coming over propped.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

12. Member
    I get 55 in my 1980 and never cared to mess with It for a few more mph.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    I get 55 in my 1980 and never cared to mess with It for a few more mph.
    55 is a great speed in these boats imo. My experience has been different and my boat would not get above 50mph by myself. When I would run at slower speeds (30-37mph) you could tell the boat was riding like its supposed to, however I was already at the MAX trim the trim limiter sensor the mercury 150 has installed on it would let me trim to, so when I would gas it from that speed the nose would drop and you could feel the boat plowing through the water and was not up on pad. Now due to the extra drag from the boat plowing is where I am loosing my speed numbers, with the wedge I am seeing the numbers my boat should have been able to do without me hitting large enough wakes to get the nose up out of the water and even when I did that my boat would only ride on pad for a few seconds before the nose fell again. I am not trying to maximize speed I am only trying to get the boat to perform like it should and can.

14. Member
    My new 1980 came with a 23 Tempest. Fastest I've seen was 57.8 before I loaded all my stuff in there. Now I get 56.5 but I have an Atlas 6" plate. Bow lift is good with no issues, you can trim down and the nose of the boat does what it is suppose to and push water. Happy with it.

15. Member
    I just measured my prop to pad and it’s 6.25 inches. I measured it 4 times just to make sure. Is anyone else’s that low?

16. Member
    My 2180CC came with a 10" setback and PTP was set around 5" from the factory. I've always had go results with my other boats in the 3.5" range but this boat does not like it at all. one of my main concerns was getting the bow up on this boat as it has always run really flat on the water. Was kinda getting frustrated with playing with the jack plate so i decided to do the other direction. This weekend set it at 5.5 and boy did it make a difference. Bow is now up i guess because i have a bit more trim without blowing out and flat out just performs better. I plan to try 6 this weekend and start fine tuning from there. (150 ProXS with a 22P Tempest) Up until last weekend could only manage 47-48 with me and the wife turning around 5500 before i would blow out and loose speed. This weekend with the bow up and more left on the throttle i was clipping along at 5200 50-51 on the gps then the wife asked me to back off.

17. Member
    @bassmasteria - at what setting does your Atlas plate work best (for a 'set it and forget it', unless stuck in 20 inches of water and need to get up on plane)? I've messed with mine a bunch, still struggling to get it dialed in real well - but I am in a 1980cc with 150ProXS so weight distribution quite a bit different I'd think. Just curious. Thanks.