Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coastal Guys/Gals - Best Beach Cart or Wagon?

Headed to the Destin FL area in a few weeks and in need of a beach cart to haul stuff to and from the beach. Any recommendations? The sand there is the white soft powder variety and I know that people like the ones with the big balloon tires. But I'm not looking to spend $300-400 on a beach cart that is used one week a year or every couple of years. Have kids of 7, 5 and 8 months thus we have a fair amount of junk to haul plus COOLER for Daddy and Mommy. Would like to keep it around $100-150 bucks or less if I can get away with it. Reviews are all over the place on these things and figured I'd get the best real feedback here.

What you guys/gals got for me that are in the know or are regular beach goers?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Get one with biggest plastic wheels (width wise) as possible. Do not go with skinny wheels.

3. Member
    Wheeleez beach carts. There is a knock off company out of Louisiana that is about half the price. I have had mine for about 7 years now and hands down best $250 I ever spent for beach trip.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    Wheeleez beach carts. There is a knock off company out of Louisiana that is about half the price. I have had mine for about 7 years now and hands down best $250 I ever spent for beach trip.
    Yeah, I've seen those in the past. A bit pricy and I'm looking for more of a wagon style with 4 wheels as opposed to the 2 wheel pull cart you have to load somewhat strategically kinda deal. But thanks for the input. I have no doubt those are nice.

5. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Fish N Mate with the big orange wheels. Very easy to pull on the sand. Look at Bluewater Outrggers in Port St Joe FL

Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    Fish N Mate with the big orange wheels. Very easy to pull on the sand. Look at Bluewater Outrggers in Port St Joe FL
    Those are nice but $400. Also geared towards fisherman and not really a family cart. I am bringing some ocean fishing gear to surf fish while there. Made a homemade fish cannon that fires frozen bait torpedos. Should be interesting to see how far it shoots. Thing is a BEAST.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscla View Post
    I have the Sr Mate with the orange tires, outstanding cart for sand! I bought mine at half Hitch. The purple flags were flying last week, take caution getting in if they are still flying. Water temp was about 77.

Getting something with the biggest softest tire you can is gonna be best but yeah the surf fishing carts are expensive for periodic use. They make all the accessories for chairs and stuff but of course that really blows your budget. Do you have a cart or something now that has and axle that would accommodate swapping wheels? These are the replacement wheels for the carts at about $90 so depending on what you have already it might work. Our neighbor uses a Walmart folding cart but he struggles some days if conditions are bad.

https://smile.amazon.com/StoreYourBo...77Y38R4Q&psc=1
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

9. Member
    Buy the material and make your own or borrow rent one from someone you know that has one.

10. Member
    I just re read the OP and see you want a cart for 150. The tires that really roll on the sugar sand cost that much. I think mine was a little less than 300? I tote chairs, cooler, 8’ Cool Cabana and all the stuffing the cooler, 10’ surf rods, and sometimes spikes for the rods in that cart. Once you try one you'll wonder why you waited so long to buy. We use it every beach trip, I don't carry the fishing stuff every trip, but the cart makes beach going sooooo much easier!

11. Member
    Just go to Wally World or whatever when you are there and pick something up. They have them all over the place there. You are only using it for a week or so. Big wheels, and enough room.

12. Member
    I'd also recommend downsizing your stuff. These microfiber beach towels have the same dimensions as regular beach towels but fold up super small.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2F9S87

And this 10' x 9' nylon beach blanket packs down to smaller than a pineapple.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073NYKNL4

I can fit four towels and the blanket in a backpack with lots of room to spare. Before I got these, four cotton towels and a regular blanket would overflow a big tote bag.

13. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
    Those are nice but $400. Also geared towards fisherman and not really a family cart. I am bringing some ocean fishing gear to surf fish while there. Made a homemade fish cannon that fires frozen bait torpedos. Should be interesting to see how far it shoots. Thing is a BEAST.
    They Re $239 at Bluewater. I pulled 2 chair, 2 coolers and all my fishing gear in it for 6 weeks in Florida this spring. They are worth every penny.

14. Member
    Would a cheap plastic snow sled work?

Walmart sells a folding cart for under $100. Big wheels and does ok in the sand if not loaded down.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

16. Member
    Yeah, I've seen those in the past. A bit pricy and I'm looking for more of a wagon style with 4 wheels as opposed to the 2 wheel pull cart you have to load somewhat strategically kinda deal. But thanks for the input. I have no doubt those are nice.
    Been to Destin several times and live in Virginia and go to Va. Beach, have had every beach wagon style you have mentioned and they all sink and are more work than they are worth. Bought a Fish N MAte with the Balloon wheels and it is awesome and was money well spent. I am actually going to get regular wheels for it too the thing is built so well it will make a great yard cart too but I don't want to mess up those balloon wheels as they are pricy. Only downside of the Balloon wheels are they make the cart very wide so to get into a hotel room or rental place you have to remove them and then carry the cart in.
    Last edited by vafishing; 05-18-2021 at 11:59 PM.

17. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

18. Member
    This cart is an awesome purchase. I bought one 8 years ago after waisting several hundred dollars on other options. The ballon tires is the key. I also have a Fishing mate cart with balloon tires that works very well. I’m not sure about where you are going but here in Orange beach you can rent the fishing mate carts for around $40 per week. I know it’s an investment but one trip to the beach and you will not regret purchasing one of these carts.

19. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    I mean if you have a gaggle of kids in tow that you're going to have to cart stuff for and plan to keep making annual trips to the beach, it seems like it would be a good investment. I bought a cheaper one that is like a wagon style and despise it

20. Member
    I have a 2 wheeled wagon style cart that I got off Amazon a few years ago for Mardi Gras parades.. it pulls great.

I swapped the wheels with some I scavenged off a power wheels jeep thing that was in someone’s trash pile.. the wider wheels work well on sand and loose gravel.. had to get a longer axle(threaded rod worked fine)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast