Thread: Water in pumps

Water in pumps

When I started servicing my CM1 pumps I noticed a milky white froth when I began to remove the hoses. I knew that was not a good sign and I verified that my pump reservoirs both had a lot of water in them. Probably 50/50. There was also white globs of material that came out. I videoed that when I dumped the second pump. I have no idea how long the water has been in the pumps. What is my next step? Send them in for a rebuild or is there a cleaning procedure I can follow? What about the cylinders and hoses? Should I remove them also? TIA!!

2. BBC SPONSOR
    I would start by trying to figure out how the water got in them to begin with. Check the O rings located between the reservoir and pump assembly as well as the o ring between the motor and pump base. Replace reservoirs if needed which include a new o ring...

Drain, fill, cycle repeat until fluid looks clean. If the poles are working fine and show no signs of damage go fishing... You will know if the water got to them if they do not function properly with clean fluid.

3. Member
    The poles functioned before I removed the pumps to service them. They were starting to whine really bad so I decided to change the fluid and clean the screens. The previous owner had a custom mount made for the MK 460PC that covered the pumps. I couldn’t see them before removing that. I immediately knew I was in trouble when I saw the condition of the pumps. Oil everywhere. I couldn’t recognize anything in the bilge area. Needless to say I will be rearranging everything to make them accessible. I am also upgrading to 1-36V and 1-12V Lithium’s which will give me a lot more room to work with. Blessing in disguise I guess.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    (1) 36 volt lithium is never a good idea.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    (1) 36 volt lithium is never a good idea.
    Please explain your comment. Is it reliability?

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 84rickygreen View Post
    Please explain your comment. Is it reliability?
    your dead in the water should there be a problem, w (3) 12 you could just grab a everstart at walmart to get you by.. or... if running a ghost switch it to 24 volt till you can get that battery warrantied out that may be quick it may be not depending on the company but still downtime regardless. (2) 36 volt in parallel decent option as you can keep going why some of the better lithium companies will only offer a 36 in a lower AH so you have to run twin 36 volt., however (1) 36 never a great idea IMO.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 05-21-2021 at 07:22 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    your dead in the water should there be a problem, w (3) 12 you could just grab a everstart at walmart to get you by.. or... if running a ghost switch it to 24 volt till you can get that battery warrantied out that may be quick it may be not depending on the company but still downtime regardless. (2) 36 volt in parallel decent option as you can keep going why some of the better lithium companies will only offer a 36 in a lower AH so you have to run twin 36 volt., however (1) 36 never a great idea IMO.
    Thank you for the explanation. I have considered leaving a separate cranking battery in the boat but I am installing a stealth with this setup so that I am charging while running.