it's either batteries or the Ultrex

I have 112 Ultrex that has lost top end power. This started last fall when I noticed it just didn't have the get up and go it used to. My batteries are 31 Optima blue tops. One was purchased 6/2015 and the other 2 were purchased 4/2016. That is a pretty good ride for me when it comes to batteries. They take a full charge according to my charger. The spotlock works fine and the motor runs fine on lower speeds. I am taking them in for a load test in the morning after they are fully charged. If the batteries check out what else should I be looking at . The connections have been checked and are good. Each lead has a breaker which I checked and none were tripped.
    Gary Burks Fergus Falls, MN
    2005 ZX225/2017 225 SHO

2. Member
    If the batteries check out ok,try a new TM prop. They wear out like anything else.

It's funny you should recommend that. I just put a new prop on a couple days ago along with an Eliminator prop nut. Unfortunately that's not it. Thanks for your input.
    2005 ZX225/2017 225 SHO

4. Member
    My chose is bad battery. You are right 2015 and 2016 are a long time for for TM batteries. I would say they reached their cycle capacity. A battery has a limit on how many charge and discharge cycles it can have., I would say you are over the cycle numbers.

5. Member
    I would think like Brad that the batteries are the issue. Optimas have about 2/3 of the Reserve Capacity of other comparable sized batteries of other brands to begin with. There are much better choices for the trolling motor.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    I would agree that it is probably the batteries.

Update on the battery saga. I have had the batteries load tested at full charge by 2 different places and the results are the same. The batteries check out good. The last place told me all 3 tested the the same using two different testers. My suspicion is one weak battery. I was told to run them down and bring back to test and if there is a weak one it will show up. As far as Optima goes it has been the most reliable deep cycle I have ever used, both in performance and longevity, and I have tried many. I am always open to a better choice but so far in my research haven't found one.
    2005 ZX225/2017 225 SHO

I replaced all 3 batteries today. My fingers are crossed. lol
    2005 ZX225/2017 225 SHO

Back in business. I fished a tournament yesterday in high winds and the Optimas had plenty of power to spare after a long day out there. Weak batteries suck!!
    2005 ZX225/2017 225 SHO

10. Member
    There is a lesson in there. Just because your battery gets 100% charged does not account for a diminished capacity from age. There are also two parts to a dual purpose battery. Starting and deep cycle. Testing is checking out the high draw items.(starter) The trolling motor is a relatively low draw. Glad you are happy with your Optimas. Very good starting batteries! Poor choice for TM. Their price vs their RC is not the best. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have to agree with you a had a loss of power on my 24volt trolling motor running Maxx29's ,one kept giving me a low volt reading compared to the other after setting for 12 hours after a full charge ,battery both tested good on load tester . But I replaced the one giving me a low reading it's like having a new trolling motor. Right back to full power and so on ,so check your batteries often mine where only 3 seasons old
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Testing is checking out the high draw items.(starter) The trolling motor is a relatively low draw. Bob
    Exactly why one has to question the validity of a load test on a deep cycle battery.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    There is a lesson in there. Just because your battery gets 100% charged does not account for a diminished capacity from age. There are also two parts to a dual purpose battery. Starting and deep cycle. Testing is checking out the high draw items.(starter) The trolling motor is a relatively low draw. Glad you are happy with your Optimas. Very good starting batteries! Poor choice for TM. Their price vs their RC is not the best. JMO Bob
    Totally agree. Several times over the years I’ve taken in trolling batteries that won’t last the day. Only to have the seller say we charged them they are fine. They were not. Ended up replacing them every time. Their life cycle was just expired and they would not hold a long term charge.