Depth Overlay Not Working on SOLIXs

Hi Folks,

Recently bought two SOLIXs and everything was working fine with them until I did the update to software version 3.980. I did the software update via SD card and it looked like everything went fine.....until I got back n the water and noticed that my depth overlay is not working on any screen/view. All that shows up is _______ft. I've gone in and removed and then added the depth overlay a number of times on all my screens/views and I have also done a reboot to factory settings with the same result. Does anyone have a clue what happened or maybe steer me in a direction to fix this? Anyone else have this problem after updating their software? I am a lifelong user of Lowrance (over 45 years) and this is my first step into 'Bird.

Appreciate any help you can give.

Terry Battisti
    Take care,

Terry Battisti

Do a Restore Factory Defaults.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Hi Wayne, Thanks for the reply. That was the second thing I did after shutting down and resetting the overlays. Still didn't work. The interesting thing is all of my other overlays still work (Temp, Supply Voltage, Time). Depth is the only thing not working.

Terry
    Take care,

Terry Battisti

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Battisti View Post
    Hi Wayne, Thanks for the reply. That was the second thing I did after shutting down and resetting the overlays. Still didn't work. The interesting thing is all of my other overlays still work (Temp, Supply Voltage, Time). Depth is the only thing not working.

Terry
    Sometimes it may take several Restore Factory Defaults when something like that happens after a software update. My SOLIX units show the depth and all have current software.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I'll try it again tonight when I get home and let you know.
    Take care,

Terry Battisti

6. Member
    Wayne, Thanks for telling me to do that, they are now working after 5 Factory Default Resets. :-/
    Take care,

Terry Battisti

7. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I'm having a similar issue with the latest update as well. In my case, I'm not getting the depth reading on the Solix 15" G2 unit which has the SI transducer connected but am getting the reading on the Solix 12" G2 unit network connected right beside it. Both are running the 3.989 SW.

I did do a factory restore both before and after the update but I did break one of my long standing rules when I upgraded from 3.970 to 3.980... I saved and restored the previous settings. I thought, why not, there was only a single change between the 2 versions. I have a feeling this may be the cause of the issue. Just reinforces why I take the extra time to do all the customization manually after an update rather than restore the settings.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

8. Member
    I think 3.97 started this, I toggled on/off the auto configs in the transducer selection menu and was able to get there depth to display

9. Member
    I always had luck long pressing were the _ _ _ ft is then selecting a different source. I think sometimes it picks the wrong one.

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimg67 View Post
    I always had luck long pressing were the _ _ _ ft is then selecting a different source. I think sometimes it picks the wrong one.
    I'll give this a try. Multiple Factory Restores is a last resort which I would like to avoid.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

11. Member
    i just got a Solix 15 G3 and did not have depth readings from new, updated software, 2 factory defaults and a missed callback from humminbird, then after being on and off a couple times it just started showing depths
    2019 Phoenix 919
    Merc 225 ProXS

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    On another G3 Depth Reading thread, it was suggested to restore Nav Data to Factory Defaults and then Restore the unit to Factory Defaults to resolve the no depth display issue. I decided to give that a try and it appeared that the depth readings returned so I proceeded to set up all my customizations... Views, menu settings, and etc. A short time afterwards, the depth readings started working off and on again. In my case, I get a reading of 1.9 or 1.8 even when over hard rocky bottoms of 30 to 90 foot depths. I do occasionally get the --- reading but typically it is 1.8 or 1.9 feet. My transducer offset is set to add 1.1 feet to the depth (based on the depth of the transducer) so it isn't just giving me that reading. When it stops working, it stops working on both of my networked units as well as my Bluetooth Networked Cannon Optimum downriggers (they also get the depth reading from the Solix). Again, it works on and off but I can't see any pattern to when it does vs when it doesn't work.

I also tried turning off "Auto" in the source selection screen and manually selecting the depth source but that didn't make a difference (it was correctly selected in "Auto"). Although I don't think the 2D sensitivity, contrast, or Clear/Max settings on the display have anything to do with depth returns, I even tried tweaking those with no success.

Since it was working at first (although maybe I didn't give it enough time to stop working before I started tweaking my settings), I have a feeling that there is some combination of menu settings that is causing this issue on the V3.980 software.

I guess I'm destined to try the multiple factory restore approach although I have a feeling that I'm going to be in the same situation after I do all my customization again.

13. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Well, I feel pretty stupid. I found the issue on why the depth reading would come and go on my Solix G2. As it turns out, changing the Surface Clutter setting on the 2D sonar impacts the depth reading. I almost never use 2D as I typically rely on SI, DI, and Mega 360. Apparently, after the update, my 2D Sonar Surface Clutter setting was on 10. I changed it to 1 and, immediately, I had a stable depth reading. I wouldn't have thought that any of the settings on 2D sonar view would have any impact on the depth reading but apparently it does.