Battery with sulfated cell?

2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL with a Group 24 Interstate wet acid engine side 24 series battery.

Was fishing with a buddy today and was running both my 73SV and my 126SV with LVS12 Panoptix. We got to where we wanted to be and then trolled for a while. While trolling we had on both GT54 transducers front and rear and the Panoptix in the front. We hung out for about 20-30 minutes in our location before needing to move on. Went to go crank the engine and it had what appeared to be a weak battery with a very weak crank. Sat with it off for a second and tried again, same thing. Tried it again and boom started up like nothing ever happened.

Moved to our next location, did more of the same and boom, same thing happened again! I told my buddy to turn off the front Nav unit as I was seeing a voltage drop of over .5 volts from the nominal 12.5 that I usually see. Didn't have the problem the rest of the day, BUT when retrailering, and finally arriving home, I found my battery appeared to have a sort of wet appearance to it, almost as if water splashed on it, but the water by the caps has not gone away since. I'm starting to suspect a sulfated cell causing an intermittent short on the battery which really sucks because this boat is damn near brand new. Interstate has a known track record of being garbage in the automotive industry since the 90's but I figured Marine would be a different story.

Anyone else have an issue with their OE interstate batteries doing the same thing?

Also, I just checked specs for Panoptix LVS12 along with the 126SV Garmin unit and found a rough amperage draw of about 7 amps which is pretty hefty. I tapped into the front wiring of the bow for the fishfinder/ GPS. The wiring colors are red with a blue stripe if I recall correctly. How easy would it be to convert over to the 24 volt batteries off my troller?
    Last edited by Extremeboating; 05-16-2021 at 06:18 PM.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

2. Member
    You'll get interference if you go to the trolling batteries.
    Interstates not good, especially if you're running only a 24, go to 27 minimum, or go lithium.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    My interstates are just over three years old, both starting (24 series) and trolling (2X 27 series). No problems from them so far. As I do with all my batteries I'll replace them at the four year mark. Haven't decided on the brand yet.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    You'll get interference if you go to the trolling batteries.
    Interstates not good, especially if you're running only a 24, go to 27 minimum, or go lithium.
    Ahh shoot. That's right huh, I didn't even think of that. I forgot all about that. I may go lithium then. I swear by Valence U(xx)-12XP series batteries. I currently run two of those on my troller motor and they refuse to lose charge. Lol.

Any other recommendations on Lithium? I always figured 18 amps input charge from the alternator of these midsize Merc motors would provide too much amperage input into the lithium batteries, but they are made for it so maybe they wouldn't be a problem.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

5. Member
    I run battleborns, but have had them for a few years now. If I was in the market, I would look at Impulse lithium.

Tracker: 2-50Ah for TM
    1-100Ah for main

Ranger: 3-50Ah for TM
    1-100Ah Relion HP for main
    Mike

6. Member
    Interstates are garbage I wouldn't use them in my boat if I got them for free, replace it with an Everstart 27 or 29DC. Also Mercury has stated not to use lithium batteries with their motors.

7. Member
    Been doing it for quite awhile, 1000's of others also.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Interstates are garbage I wouldn't use them in my boat if I got them for free, replace it with an Everstart 27 or 29DC. Also Mercury has stated not to use lithium batteries with their motors.
    You know what they say about Neverstart batteries.

So it sounds like Lithium wouldn't be a feasible thing then? Maybe just a solid AGM like an Odyssey is the way to go? I have had a group 65 one on my truck since 2015 and it just keeps going I swear, it's wild.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    You know what they say about Neverstart batteries.

So it sounds like Lithium wouldn't be a feasible thing then? Maybe just a solid AGM like an Odyssey is the way to go? I have had a group 65 one on my truck since 2015 and it just keeps going I swear, it's wild.
    I get 4-5 years out of the Everstart batteries. Interstate, and the Super Start batteries from Orileys are the ones I have the most problems with.

I get 4-5 years out of the Everstart batteries. Interstate, and the Super Start batteries from Orileys are the ones I have the most problems with.
    I have actually noticed that Neverstarts do have a good overall longevity more often than not, it's just their overall power production capabilities and the duration they are capable of holding said power while using it that I don't like about them.

Been doing it for quite awhile, 1000's of others also.
    You are using a lithium for your starting battery?
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

11. Member
    I have actually noticed that Neverstarts do have a good overall longevity more often than not, it's just their overall power production capabilities and the duration they are capable of holding said power while using it that I don't like about them.
    They have always had plenty of power for me, what issues have you had with them? The cranking amps and reserve capacity is about the same as any other lead acid marine battery.

They have always had plenty of power for me, what issues have you had with them? The cranking amps and reserve capacity is about the same as any other lead acid marine battery.
    They have always just ran out of juice quickly when I have used them in the past. And when we are talking about a battery which is meant to support the primary engine, I want to know I have the available power to play and power to start once I'm done playing. No lifetime warranty matters to me if I can't even make it back to shore to exchange said battery.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

13. Member
    They have always just ran out of juice quickly when I have used them in the past. And when we are talking about a battery which is meant to support the primary engine, I want to know I have the available power to play and power to start once I'm done playing. No lifetime warranty matters to me if I can't even make it back to shore to exchange said battery.
    If you size your battery properly that shouldn't be an issue.

14. Member

You are using a lithium for your starting battery?
    Yes, on 3 different rigs with 2 presently.....since you don't have a Merc warranty anyway after flashing yours, doesn't make any difference what they say.
    Mike

If you size your battery properly that shouldn't be an issue.
    Unfortunately, due to the size constraints inside the current back hatch compartment of my rig, I can run nothing larger than a group 24 battery for the engine starting battery. After sizing my current one I have determined is is the equivalent to 308 CCA or 42.48AH which is the equivalent to 2548.8 seconds of run time, which explains why it sucks. Factor in the fact it is a wet acid and there further goes any sort of reliability there.

Yes, on 3 different rigs with 2 presently.....since you don't have a Merc warranty anyway after flashing yours, doesn't make any difference what they say.
    That is really good to know. I may just wind up having to suck it up and pay a premium one last time for a battery (given that I've had to do it twice already for my troller. Hahaha).

Actually, I never did flash it. It's as easy as a bolt off, bolt on deal. Regardless though. I could care less about their warranty as long as they got my hull covered, and maybe simple things like throttle controls, dash, etc. I've gone through too many dealer situations and been around that most of my life than to trust a boat dealer either.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

16. Member
    If a size 24 is all you can fit I would get a Duracell Group 34 AGM.

If a size 24 is all you can fit I would get a Duracell Group 34 AGM.
    Its a toss up right now to me between AGM and Lithium.

From examining the dimensions on the G34 battery it appears it is dimensionally similar to a G24 style battery huh.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

18. Member
    Yeah a group 34 and 24 are pretty much the same size.

After further investigation I found that a lot of these lithium batteries including the one I really wanted came without overcharge cutoff BMS's in the size I needed, which would force me to have to run an external and quite expensive BMS unit for a single battery. It would had been a lot of additional coin on top of the already expensive battery which was not worth it at all. I wound up going with an X2Power 34 series AGM from Batteries Plus Bulbs. It may not be Lithium and have the capabilities of it, but it beats the hell out of flooded lead acid, and it beats the hell out of an Interstate wet acid battery.

The specs are 880CCA and 68AH which should fare plenty well for the amount of time I am out on the water on any particular day.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter

Just wanted to give a final update to this. It was indeed the battery. I ran two navs with two transducers and front LVS12 Panoptix for hours today and had zero issues at start up after it was time to move to a new location.

This post confirms the Interstate batteries supplied with Bass Trackers are garbage.
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    DD26 motor toter